Thread: composition

Post Thanks / Like

composition

Hi,

What does "composition" exactly mean in this context? I found two definitions for this word in the dictionary - 1. the arrangement of people or objects in a painting. 2. a piece of an art.

I think these two definitions are both suitalbe for this context, and I just can not figure out which one is right.

Then what is your opinion?

Thanks for your help.

Professor: Composition is the organization of shapes and forms into a whole - an expressive whole. The elements of composition - line, shape, tone, and color - need to be well-arranged - need to be ordered. They need to be coherent, just like the words and phrases and sentences in a piece of writing.

All paintings have a compositional element. Successful paintings sort of suggest the third dimension, the sense that the design goes beyond the picture frame. A picture's unity - which includes the shapes, tones and colors - is linked to what the artist has to say. The artist's message is strongest when it's clear. A composition is better if it says one thing strongly than if it tries to say too many things. A crowded composition is sort of fussy and splintered and lacks unity. Even a painting of a single object needs thoughtful composition so the character of the object is present in every shape.

MaryTeacher is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: composition

Hi,

Composition is being used both ways in the paragraph, which could explain your difficulty!

The first two instances that you highlight refer to the elements of a work of art. The second two refer to a work of art, and the last instance refers to the elements again.

I hope this helps!

Take care,
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: composition

Quote Originally Posted by MaryTeacher View Post
    Hi,

Composition is being used both ways in the paragraph, which could explain your difficulty!

The first two instances that you highlight refer to the elements of a work of art. The second two refer to a work of art, and the last instance refers to the elements again.

I hope this helps!

Take care,
    Mary
    Thank you, Mary. I get it now!