Thread: CELTA,and TESOL

1. Unregistered

Question CELTA,and TESOL

Hi.I have read a lot about TESOL,CELTA through the different sites in the net.For a non native English student ,the explaination is really confusing and puzzling.Is it possible to clarify ,simplify and be specific in your answer.What is the difference between them,and how should I know which one is suitable for me to enrol in?
    Regards
    Bashar

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: CELTA,and TESOL

Hi-

There are many acronyms in the ESL world! You will see:

ESL (English as a Second Language),
    ESOL (English as a Second or Other Language),
    EAL (English as an Additional Language),
    EFL (English as a Foreign Language),
    and the teaching (T) of each: TESL, TESOL, TEAL, and TEFL.

CELTA refers to a specific teacher training program that is certified by Cambridge. It stands for the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults. It is a type of TESOL or TEFL certificate.

There are many different programs available for people looking for training in teaching English. Many institutions refer to their programs as TESOL certificates or diplomas.

CELTA has wide recognition, but there are also many other good programs available. There are also many poor programs out there.

Some general guidelines to look for in an initial teacher training certificate or diploma are:

-does it have a supervised practicum?
    -how many course hours does it offer (120 is a considered a minimum by many professional organizations that endorse training programs)
    -is it recognized by any professional bodies?
    -what minimum entrance requirements does it have? Generally (though not always), an undergraduate degree is required for acceptance.

I hope this helps!

Mary