Unregistered Guest

Default Can't define the type of sentence

Hello, could you help me to define the type of the sentence: <Why not to put more efforts in the paper?> And one more hing: cuold you tell me, where can I find some theoretical information on the syntactical role of phrasal verbs and that pf gerung?
    Thank you in advance. Inna

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can't define the type of sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello, could you help me to define the type of the sentence: <Why not to put more efforts in the paper?> And one more hing: cuold you tell me, where can I find some theoretical information on the syntactical role of phrasal verbs and that pf gerung?
    Hi Inna,

The sentence you are asking about "Why not to put more efforts in the paper?" is really strange. I don't like using the terms "correct" and "incorrect", but no native English speaker would ever say that sentence. If you give us more context, I'm sure someone could help you rephrase it so it sounds more natural.

I hope that helps.

Matthew Balson
    Competence home

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    "Why not put put more effort into the paper?" is a question. It means the same as:
    "Why don't you put more effort into the paper?"

Clark is offline Key Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Structurally it's a question, while in terms of the purpose of the utterance it's an imperative sentence.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Structurally it's a question, while in terms of the purpose of the utterance it's an imperative sentence.
    Yes, that's right. It would be in most circumstances, for example if a teacher said it. But that's not necessarily so.

Friend A: I want to get a good mark this term.
    Friend B: Why not put more effort into your paper?

This is not an imperative. It's a suggestion. Of course, you need to know whose classification of sentences you're using. And then it's not always clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, imperative sentences are not necessarily commands and orders. They may express a request, an invitation, a suggestion, persuasion, etc. The idea is that they convey the desire of the speaker to make someone perform an action. For example, 'Let's have some tea'.

dannyzhen is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Well, imperative sentences are not necessarily commands and orders. They may express a request, an invitation, a suggestion, persuasion, etc. The idea is that they convey the desire of the speaker to make someone perform an action. For example, 'Let's have some tea'.
    I am not a teacher.

I think this is not an imperative structurally though it may have imperative mood in its meaning. It is introduced by a "why" to give the other person a suggestion to do something. Generally speaking, the imperative should start with a verb just like "Let's have some tea".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzhen View Post
    I am not a teacher.

I think this is not an imperative structurally though it may have imperative mood in its meaning. It is introduced by a "why" to give the other person a suggestion to do something. Generally speaking, the imperative should start with a verb just like "Let's have some tea".
    Only finite forms have the mood category. Infinitives do not have mood. So there is no mood in 'Why not put more efforts ...?', but there is an imperative meaning in this sentence though it is a question by form. But if it were a question by meaning, it would be asking for information or confirmation, and it does not. It induces another person to perform an action. So what's the communicative aim of the sentence?