Post Thanks / Like

Default reflect on /reflect

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could have a look for me at this one "reflect on" in this context.

Is "reflect on" used as a phrase which means "to think deeply about something"? Or actually, "reflect" and "on" are used separately, it means "to show".

I just could not figure out what "reflect" means in this context... Then what is your opinion?

Thanks for your help.

Professor: ... ... When children first start school, at around four to six years old, they can focus on only one thought at a time. Socially, they can understand only their own perspective, and don't yet understand that other people may see the same event differently from the way they see it. They don't reflect on the thoughts of others. What I mean is, children at this age are selfl-centered, and for this reason it's known as the egocentric stage of social development. ... ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: reflect on /reflect

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone could have a look for me at this one "reflect on" in this context.

Is "reflect on" used as a phrase which means "to think deeply about something"? Or actually, "reflect" and "on" are used separately, it means "to show".

I just could not figure out what "reflect" means in this context... Then what is your opinion?

Thanks for your help.

Professor: ... ... When children first start school, at around four to six years old, they can focus on only one thought at a time. Socially, they can understand only their own perspective, and don't yet understand that other people may see the same event differently from the way they see it. They don't reflect on the thoughts of others. What I mean is, children at this age are selfl-centered, and for this reason it's known as the egocentric stage of social development. ... ...

Hi IMPSX-UE,

Your first intuition ("reflect on" used as a phrase which means "to think deeply about something") seems correct to me.

Matthew Balson
    author of The Secret Lives of English Verbs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: reflect on /reflect

Quote Originally Posted by competence View Post
    Hi IMPSX-UE,

Your first intuition ("reflect on" used as a phrase which means "to think deeply about something") seems correct to me.

Matthew Balson
    author of The Secret Lives of English Verbs
    Thanks, competence. I get it !