Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    webdweller is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink this is my rambling writing about my cats

Hi, this is my rambling writing about my cats. Could you please check this writing for me? (Even in THIS paragraph) Everything is clear to me, but if any sentence seems too hard to understand or takes too much thinking to understand, even though it is grammatically correct, please tell me so I know I cannot use this or that structure or word. Thank you in advance.

I opened the sliding door that separate my apartment into two and saw the two cats already waiting for me. Seeing me out, the cats "stood up" and meowed loudly and repeatedly, both of them saying in one voice. I often think of this as a demonstration for food.

I had two cats, one being born in 1995 and one in 2004, "the big cat" and "the small cat" as my family and I often called them.

I took out a rice bowl for them. The rice had been mixed with fish which was previously baked and put into the fridge for preservation. Both of the cats were voracious: I often had to divide the food into two in 2 small bowls, so that they would not combat while eating. Sometimes I mixed fish and rice in a larger bowl enough for 2 cat heads, and only had to shovel the food to both sides to create a "buffer zone" which had no food. The cats then know where they were allowed to eat, and no fighting would occur.

The cats seeing their food made more and more noise, until I put the bowls down for them to eat.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: my cats

Quote Originally Posted by webdweller View Post
    I opened the sliding door that separate my apartment into two and saw the two cats already waiting for me. Seeing me out, the cats "stood up" and meowed loudly and repeatedly, both of them saying in one voice. I often think of this as a demonstration for food.
    I opened the sliding door that divides my apartment into two and saw the two cats waiting for me. Noticing that I was outside, the cats "stood up" and meowed loudly and repeatedly.
    I had two cats, one being born in 1995 and one in 2004, "the big cat" and "the small cat" as my family and I often called them.
    I had two cats--one born in 1995 and the other born in 2004. My family and I often called them the big cat and the little cat.
    I took out a rice bowl for them. The rice had been mixed with fish which was previously baked and put into the fridge for preservation.
    I took out a rice bowl for them. The rice had been mixed with fish which had been baked and put into the fridge for preservation.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: this is my rambling writing about my cats

Both of the cats were voracious: I often had to divide the food into two in 2 small bowls, so that they would not combat while eating.
    The cats were voracious. They were always eager to get at their food. I often had to put the food into two small bowls so they would not fight over the food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    I opened the sliding door that divides my apartment into two and saw the two cats waiting for me. Noticing that I was outside, the cats "stood up" and meowed loudly and repeatedly.

I had two cats--one born in 1995 and the other born in 2004. My family and I often called them the big cat and the little cat.

I took out a rice bowl for them. The rice had been mixed with fish which had been baked and put into the fridge for preservation.
    Hi, Ronbee. Thank you very much for your help. You have so many posts in this forum (14037!!!), and you must have helped a lot of people!!!

Are those three sentences the only ones that contain an error? Are ALL OTHER word usages in my first post correct, idiomatic and appropriate?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry I didn't read your second post! You are still proofreading my writing and posting your comment! Thanks so much!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

These are the last suggestions. (Only a couple of changes.)

Sometimes I mixed fish and rice in a larger bowl enough for 2 cat heads, and only had to shovel the food to both sides to create a "buffer zone" which had no food. The cats then know where they were allowed to eat, and no fighting would occur.
    Sometimes I mixed fish and rice in a bowl large enough for 2 cat heads, and I only had to shovel the food to both sides to create a "buffer zone" which had no food.
    How did you get your cats to eat rice?

The cats seeing their food made more and more noise, until I put the bowls down for them to eat.
    The cats upon seeing their food made more and more noise until I put the bowls down for them.
    We already know there was food in the bowls, and in my opinion we need to avoid the construction "I put the bowls down for them to eat" because that makes it seem like they are going to eat the bowls.

It is up to you if you want to accept any of my suggestions, but I hope you take them seriously.
    Last edited by RonBee; 26-Dec-2008 at 10:13. Reason: Change "fish" to "rice"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cats are curious creatures
    With many feline features.

You can't really be the owner of a cat.
    The cat adopts you, and that's that.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you get your cats to eat fish?
    :D Well can you ask a little more clearly? Actually I don't understand this question of yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your suggestions. Are those all the changes that you think are necessary?

Frankly, I'm somewhat surprised at how little the passage should be changed. In writing this passage for review by other people in this forum, I tried to experiment with many new words, phrases, sentence structures and usages that I DEEM appropriate and idiomatic (based on my sense of English) but don't know for sure if in English, they are acceptable or not. They include: "sliding door," "meowed loudly and repeatedly," "a demonstration for food," "put into the fridge for preservation," "shovel the food to both sides to create a "buffer zone" which had no food" (<-- Do you really understand this description?) and "both of them saying in one voice."

Are all the usages above correct and idiomatic?
    Last edited by webdweller; 26-Dec-2008 at 08:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Some other words or phrases I am sure they are correct, but I'm not sure if they fit the tone and context and style of this narrative. Could you please point out for me which ones are not appropriate in this narrative?

PS. I'm currently not sure about "made more and more noise."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast