Unregistered Guest

Default Relative Clause, anyone can help?

Hello everyone, it's very nice to know this place where I can clear my queries about English at last

This is my question:
    I am always confused about Relative clause, make it short, the following are examples:

He is one of my friends who likes shopping very much.

London is the capital of England where you can see attractions such as Big ben.

The restaurant in this street which used to be my favourite is going to close tomorrow.

So my question is, is it correct to use relative clause like these? Are the relative pronouns referring the words in red correctly? Does it mean relative pronoun could be quite flexible to refer to any words preceding the relative pronoun?

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Relative Clause, anyone can help?

Hello everyone, it's very nice to know this place where I can clear my queries about English at last

This is my question:
    I am always confused about Relative clause, make it short, the following are examples:

The restaurant in this street which used to be my favourite is going to close tomorrow.

So my question is, is it correct to use relative clause like these? Are the relative pronouns referring the words in red correctly? Or should it be like this? Does relative clause refer to the whole "phrase"?

Many thanks.

naomimalan is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Relative Clause, anyone can help?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

This is my question:

So my question is, is it correct to use relative clause like these? Are the relative pronouns referring the words in red correctly? Does it mean relative pronoun could be quite flexible to refer to any words preceding the relative pronoun?

Many thanks.
    A Relative pronoun refers back to either a noun, a pronoun, or a noun phrase (NP). It’s easy to identify the relative pronoun’s antecedent (what it refers back to) if the antecedent is just one word (eg He is someone who likes shopping, where the antecedent is someone); or if the antecedent is just a determiner + noun (eg the restaurant in The restaurant which used to be my favourite…, where the antecedent is The restaurant).

But it’s less easy to identify the antecedent if it’s an NP comprising a whole group of words. In (1) above, the NP is one of my friends. The pronoun one is called the head; it is modified by the prepositional phrase of my friends. Here, the relative pronoun who refers back to the whole of the NP (one of my friends).

The same explanation is valid for (3). The restaurant in this street is the NP antecedent of which; and in this street is a prepositional phrase modifying the head (The restaurant).

Sentence (2) calls for a different analysis. Here, the antecedent is implicit (in other words, it is understood without being expressed). This is quite often the case if the “relative pronoun” is where or when. Here, the implicit antecedent would be a city or a place:
    London is the capital of England, (a city /a place) where you can see attractions such as Big Ben.

MALAN, N., La proposition relative en anglais contemporain. Une approche pragmatique. Gap/Paris, Ophrys, 1999, p31, 108, 110-111