Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Unregistered Guest

    Default school level plural?

    Is the school level countable? A high school or an elementary school?

    I work at an elementary school?
    I work at elementary school?

    when "like" is used
    for example, I like apples, I like oranges. the following noun must be plural.
    Is this okay for schools?
    Graduates don't like elementary schools
    or
    Graduates don't like to doing training in elementary schools
    or
    Graduates don't like to visit elementary schools

    Are these correct?

  2. #2
    Soup's Avatar
    Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: school level plural?

    Yes, they are countable:
    I work at an elementary school?
    I work at elementary school?
    Yes, the noun is plural:
    I like apples.
    I like oranges.
    ------------------------------------
    Graduates don't like elementary schools.
    Graduates don't like to doing training ...
    Graduates don't like to train ...
    Graduates don't like training ...
    Graduates don't like to visit elementary schools.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: school level plural?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Yes, they are countable:
    I work at an elementary school?
    I work at elementary school?
    Yes, the noun is plural:
    I like apples.
    I like oranges.
    ------------------------------------
    Graduates don't like elementary schools.
    Graduates don't like to doing training ...
    Graduates don't like to train ...
    Graduates don't like training ...
    Graduates don't like to visit elementary schools.
    Is this also true if the preposition is "in".

    I work in an elementary school?

    Graduates are trained in an elementary school.

    .Thank you.

  4. #4
    Clark is offline Key Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: school level plural?

    And one more question here, if you don't mind, Soup.

    He works in/at an elementary school.
    But: He goes to elementary school.

    Why is there an article in the first sentence and no article in the second one?

  5. #5
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: school level plural?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is the school level countable? A high school or an elementary school?

    I work at an elementary school?
    I work at elementary school?
    Since you can say:

    Mrs Patterson works at/in school. (She is a teacher)
    Mrs Jenkins works at/in a school. (She may not be a teacher)

    you can also say:

    I work at/in elementary/primary/secondary school. (You are a teacher)
    I work at/in a(n) elementary/primary/secondary school. (You mat not be a teacher)

    This doesn't give us any information on the type of school building you are teaching in, but tells us about the level of education you are teaching at.

  6. #6
    Clark is offline Key Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: school level plural?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Since you can say:

    Mrs Patterson works at/in school. (She is a teacher)
    Mrs Jenkins works at/in a school. (She may not be a teacher)

    you can also say:

    I work at/in elementary/primary/secondary school. (You are a teacher)
    I work at/in a(n) elementary/primary/secondary school. (You mat not be a teacher)

    This doesn't give us any information on the type of school building you are teaching in, but tells us about the level of education you are teaching at.
    Engee, how about college, university?
    Is it correct to say: 'He is a professor at university' or should it be 'at a university'?

  7. #7
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: school level plural?

    Is it correct to say: 'He is a professor at university' or should it be 'at a university'?

    I would say 'at a university', but 'he is a university professor' is better and more natural, I think.

Similar Threads

  1. School level vs. learning level
    By Levona in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Aug-2006, 10:29
  2. School level vs. Learning level
    By Levona in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Aug-2006, 16:53
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-May-2006, 14:20
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2006, 11:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •