richard001 Guest

Default greeted/be greeted

Hi,when I looked at CNN news,was finding the headlines said 'APEC leaders greeted by protests', does it correct?I think it should be passive voice so it should be 'APEC leaders are greeted by protests',so what is the different?
    ps:Are the sentences above right?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: greeted/be greeted

Quote Originally Posted by richard001
    Hi,when I looked at CNN news,was finding the headlines said 'APEC leaders greeted by protests', does it correct?I think it should be passive voice so it should be 'APEC leaders are greeted by protests',so what is the different?
    ps:Are the sentences above right?
    Thanks.
    It's normal for a headline. Needless words are often omitted (...) to save time/space.

EX: APEC leaders (were) greeted by protests.

The -ed on 'greeted' and the preposition'by' tell us the sentence is passive, so 'were' is not needed.

richard001 Guest

1.In general dialog,is it correct if we omit 'be' in passive sentence?
    2."Hi,when I looked at CNN news,was finding the headlines said 'APEC leaders greeted by protests', does it correct?I think it should be passive voice so it should be 'APEC leaders are greeted by protests',so what is the different?"
    Is this paragraph above correct?
    3.I always feel unconfident when I say something.I cannot sure which tense to choose and if the words I used is correct in that situation,I am really confused.

Post Thanks / Like

1. In general dialog, is it correct if we omit 'be' in passive sentence?
    No.

2. "Hi, when I looked at CNN news,was finding the headlines said 'APEC leaders greeted by protests', does it correct?I think it should be passive voice so it should be 'APEC leaders are greeted by protests',so what is the different?"
    Is this paragraph above correct?
    Try,
    "Hi, when I was watching CNN news, the headlines said, 'APEC leaders greeted by protests.' Is that correct? I think it should be passive in voice, so it should be 'APEC leaders are greeted by protests.' What is the difference?"

3.I always feel unconfident when I say something.I cannot sure which tense to choose and if the words I used is correct in that situation, I am really confused.
    Try,
    I don't feel confident expressing myself in English. I am never sure which tense to choose and if the words I used are correct for that situation. I am really confused.

richard001 Guest

1.In which conditions we are able to omit 'be' in passive?

2.Thank you for correcting 2&3,however,3 is the actual state of my English language studying.I feel all words in chaos,and am wordering how could I improve it

Post Thanks / Like

1. In which conditions we are able to omit 'be' in passive?
    No conditions, just headlines.

2.Thank you for correcting 2&3,however,3 is the actual state of my English language studying.I feel all words in chaos,and am wordering how could I improve it
    Read more.

richard001 Guest

Thank you very much,I hope that while answering my questions you also correcting the mistakes in my questions when you find them in the future.
    Last edited by richard001; 21-Nov-2004 at 02:52.