Thread: please help...!

Unregistered Guest

Red face please help...!

I'm not sure what an idiom is?...Also what is a conditional? I'm still a little confused and was wondering if you please help me!

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please help...!

(1) An idiom is a phase whose meaning cannot necessarily be guessed from the meanings of its constituent words. 'That fly ball was a can of corn.'

(2) A conditional uses particular forms to express implied conditions or suppositions. It usually contains a pair of clauses equivalent to 'if ..., then....' There are three classic conditional sentence forms (I, II, III of course):

'If it rains tomorrow, then I will get wet.'
    'If it rained tomorrow, then I would get wet.'
    'If it had rained yesterday, then I would have gotten wet.'

English has an endless accumulation of idioms, and the topic of conditionals is large and disputable, but this is a beginning.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please help...!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I'm not sure what an idiom is?...Also what is a conditional? I'm still a little confused and was wondering if you please help me!
    An idiom is a phrase where the words together have a different meaning form the dictionary definition of the individual words. For example, a 'good egg'is used idiomatically to mean a person you can trust. Click here for a list of common idioms.

A conditional is where there are two linked actions, the second of which will only be possible if the first happens:

If you see her, will you give her this letter. (You can only give the letter to the persaon if the condition in the first part (seeing her) is met.