• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Please check my writing for errors

Dear teachers, please check my writing for errors !Thanks a lot !

The year 2008 at last slipped away. It was indeed an unpleasant year to our nation with a devastating earthquake and a sharp downturn of economy. However, it was a whole new start of my life. It was in this year that I began to think seriously what responsibility I bear as a mother, a teather and a member of the community.

Though I feel relieved that at least , after so many years of being confused about life's meaningfulness, I never end up in crises of any kind, there were moments when I felt so disappointed about life, so anguished about being a mother , a spouse and a teacher that I even got tired of being a living thing.

The most silly and hopeless idea I once had on my mind was why I wasn't prettier , younger , smarter or richer. Being so possessed by the feelings of loss, I wouldn't even look at myself in the mirror just to avoid seeing the small lines on the forehead. And I refused to talk about my husband for fear that he was too common a guy to be mentioned. The only thing I was content and eager to share with others was the loveliness of my little girl.

Then there was the big earthquake on May, 12, 2008, after which I began to feel how lucky I am for just being me. The values I hold for life have changed completely from that day on. Now I realize it is not enough to just keep living in the world and do my duty routinely. I need to be grateful for not only every pleasure I have but also every annoyance I have, which can not be felt by a dead person. Thus , I have actually been living each day as if it were my last day , knowing one doesn't have to be pretty, smart, young or rich to feel happy and lucky.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please check my writing for errors

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseed View Post
    The year 2008 has at last slipped away. It was indeed an unpleasant year for our nation with a devastating earthquake and a sharp downturn in the economy. However, it was a whole new start to my life. It was in that year that I began to think seriously about the responsibilities I bear as a mother, a teacher and a member of the community.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Though I feel relieved that at least , after so many years of being confused about life's meaningfulness, I never end up in crises of any kind, there were moments when I felt so disappointed about life, so anguished about being a mother , a spouse and a teacher that I even got tired of being a living thing.
    You never have crises of any kind? (I don't think that is what you want to say.)

You were depressed? You had a bout of depression? You felt hopeless?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

The most silly and hopeless idea I once had on my mind was why I wasn't prettier , younger , smarter or richer.
    The most pointless thing I ever did was wonder why I wasn't prettier, younger, smarter or richer.

• Post Thanks / Like

Then there was the big earthquake on May, 12, 2008, after which I began to realise how fortunate i was to be living in a safe country. The values I hold in life have changed completely from that day on. Now, I realise it is not enough to just keep living in the world to do my duties routinely. I also need to be grateful not only for my blessings but also everything else i feel negative towards , as everything was made for a reason, be it good or bad. Thus , I have actually been living each day as if it were my last day , knowing one doesn't have to be pretty, smart, young or rich to feel happy and lucky but rather hardworking and positive.
    I'm sure i have made some errors but i have slightly improved it .

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Then there was the big earthquake on May, 12, 2008, after which I began to feel how lucky I am for just being me.
    Then there was the big earthquake on May, 12, 2008, after which I began to realize how lucky I am for just being myself.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you , Ronbee for your great help in checking out my mistakes ! I learned a lot !

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Being so possessed by the feelings of loss, I wouldn't even look at myself in the mirror just to avoid seeing the small lines on my forehead. And I refused to talk about my husband because I thought he wasn't important enough. The only thing I was happy about and eager to talk about was my little girl.
    What do you think?