Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using English to learn English vs. Using your own language to learn English

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't know how this would work with Chinese, but something I often do with a bilingual dictionary is this: when I want to know 'the equivalent'* of a word, I look it up in the English-<other-language> section and then I look the answer up in the <other-language>-English section (to make sure I haven't accidentally 'learnt' a word with an inappropriate meaning).

*I'm not comfortable with the use of the word 'equivalent' here; I'm talking about a near-synonym.

b
    Bobk, thedaffodils, and Tdol, + Thanks a million !

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using English to learn English vs. Using your own language to learn English

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Bobk, thedaffodils, and Tdol, + Thanks a million !
    You're very welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    You're very welcome.

thedaffodils, your avatar is real cute !! I like it !!! I really want to give him a "pinch" !

English-coach is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I Agree with IMPSX-UE, but I also know that everyone is different. You need to figure out how you learn and exploit that to learn as much as you can. I think the best thing is to have fun. Do something that you enjoy...in English. Watch your favorite tv show...in English with subtitles. Read comics in English. Watch news clips online in English.

For more ideas visit my article which lists ideas on activities you can do to improve the 4 areas of English (speaking, listening, reading and writing).
    I hope that my article and website can help some of you learn more English. :)

All the best!
    Diana
    http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com
    Last edited by English-coach; 25-Jan-2009 at 11:31.

abaka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course English should be learned in English.

When native English preakers learn any other language, the first thing they hear is that they must learn the other culture, learn to speak, indeed to think like the carriers of that culture. That is exactly right. It's just as important for people who are learning English as a second language to learn, to appreciate, to think in terms of, native English and its culture, whether British, N. American, Australian, etc. When I tutor ESL, I find that if I clearly explain certain cultural points, especially directness and action, my students start making fewer mistakes and speaking more idiomatically.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Of course English should be learned in English.

When native English preakers learn any other language, the first thing they hear is that they must learn the other culture, learn to speak, indeed to think like the carriers of that culture. That is exactly right. It's just as important for people who are learning English as a second language to learn, to appreciate, to think in terms of, native English and its culture, whether British, N. American, Australian, etc. When I tutor ESL, I find that if I clearly explain certain cultural points, especially directness and action, my students start making fewer mistakes and speaking more idiomatically.
    Hi, abaka,

Fisrt, thanks for your reply.

"Of course English should be learned in English." Yes, you are absolutely right.

Of course, it is a real lousy way if we translate anything when we are learning a foreign language, and that is absolutely not nescessary ! Even I would like to say - that is crazy! So we do need to learn how to use English to learn English.

However, I am with what Tdol said, "Over-reliance on translation into your first language can inhibit learning and create a comfort zone, but avoiding it completely seems artificial. " Over-reliance on translation does trigger harmful effect, but if we try to get rid of it altogether, I do not think we can do this. If we only use English to learn English, which will also lead to a serious consequence, and that is what I am experiencing right now - like some nouns, I know what it is in English, but I have no idea what it calls in my own languge !

So, I totally agree with the opinions from thedaffodils and Bobk that we have to look it up in both sections in the dictionary when learning a new word, to make sure that we get it right in both English AND our own language. We do not need to tanslate, but it is quite necessary for us to know the meaning of the new word in both kinds of languages !

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Using English to learn English vs. Using your own language to learn English

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    You're very welcome.

thedaffodils, your avatar is really a lovely one ! He is so cute !! I can not help myself stop saying "I like him !" May I have his name if you do not mind?

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    thedaffodils, your avatar is really a lovely one ! He is so cute !! I can not help myself stop saying "I like him !" May I have his name if you do not mind?
    Hi IMPSX-UE,

I'll send you PM about this.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 23-Jan-2009 at 03:21.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12