Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Capital letters

  1. mettemarie
    Guest
    #1

    Capital letters

    Good morning -
    since my job involves proofresding of CVs I often encounter English titles (though the native language is Danish) - so my quiestion is whether titles are generally written with capital letters or not.
    Thanks for your help
    Mette-Marie

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 34,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Capital letters

    Quote Originally Posted by mettemarie View Post
    Good morning -
    since my job involves proofresding of CVs I often encounter English titles (though the native language is Danish) - so my quiestion is whether titles are generally written with capital letters or not.
    Thanks for your help
    Mette-Marie
    Yes! Titles are capitalized.

    Gone With the Wind...The Great Gatsby...TIME...Newsweek...etc.

    Cheers,
    Amigo


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Capital letters

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Yes! Titles are capitalized.

    Gone With the Wind...The Great Gatsby...TIME...Newsweek...etc.

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Can I ask you something? Okay, I already did.

    How do you spell:

    The Mecsek Hill

    Is this right? Do I need the determiner the?


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Capital letters

    IS it correct:

    I trekked in The Mecsek Hill.

    Is it well capitalized?

  3. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 34,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Capital letters

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Can I ask you something? Okay, I already did.

    How do you spell:

    The Mecsek Hill

    Is this right? Do I need the determiner the?
    It depends on the context. What is Mecsek Hill?
    My first thought would be no article. "I am going to climb Mecsek Hill next Saturday."

    What do you think?


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Capital letters

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    It depends on the context. What is Mecsek Hill?
    My first thought would be no article. "I am going to climb Mecsek Hill next Saturday."

    What do you think?
    I think I have no clue.

    Mecsek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- my stomping ground.

  4. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 34,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Capital letters

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    IS it correct:

    I trekked in The Mecsek Hill. Is Mecsek the name of the hill or is the hill in Mecsek? "I trekked in the hills of Mecsek."

    Is it well capitalized?
    `


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Capital letters

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    `
    Mecsek is a mountain range, like Andes in SA, but much smaller in extent.
    The Mecsek is a mountain range. Need I the the?

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._the_Andes.jpg

  5. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 34,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Capital letters

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Mecsek is a mountain range, like Andes in SA, but much smaller in extent.
    The Mecsek is a mountain range. Need I the the?

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._the_Andes.jpg
    "I am going to the Andes to hike." "I am going to the Alps to ski." "I am going to the Matterhorn to get frostbitten." And I will go to the Mecsek mountain range to see svartnik."
    Alps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Cheers,
    Amigo


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Capital letters

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    "I am going to the Andes to hike." "I am going to the Alps to ski." "I am going to the Matterhorn to get frostbitten." And I will go to the Mecsek mountain range to see svartnik."
    Alps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Capital Letters in Address Field (Family name)?
    By SFalkenstein in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2008, 11:30
  2. Capital versus small letters
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2008, 02:12
  3. Using Capital Letters in IELTS
    By lonelymelody in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2007, 21:17
  4. capital letters
    By cat80 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Aug-2006, 17:52
  5. capital letters
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Jun-2004, 16:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •