Post Thanks / Like

Default The sword wont cut the humble head. Is that an idiom?

Hi everyone!
    I am from Romania and am looking for an idiom for a week now. We have in Romanian a idiom that
    Looks like this: The sword wont cut the humble head. I dont know if it exists in English. Its about the benefits one can have bay being quite. But is more than that. Is not just being quiet is being submitted to someone like slave or something. Its more like you wont get hurt if do what you are told. Can you help me with that? Is a idiom close to that in English?

Thank you very much!

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The sword wont cut the humble head. Is that an idiom?

Quote Originally Posted by fortuny View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I am from Romania and am looking for an idiom for a week now. We have in Romanian a idiom that
    Looks like this: The sword wont cut the humble head. I dont know if it exists in English. Its about the benefits one can have bay being quite. But is more than that. Is not just being quiet is being submitted to someone like slave or something. Its more like you wont get hurt if do what you are told. Can you help me with that? Is a idiom close to that in English?

Thank you very much!
    To go with the flow?
    Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I didn't find something closer in english. Maybe that is because Britanic people never let their head down in front of others as my people did for centuries...

csheywood is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    I found this thread by accident. I am teaching English here in Brasov and I understand how it can helpful to find a similar translation from a native one. But this one doesn't really exist. I wondered if your idiom is from the Bible - it has some wisdom to it - but I can't find it. "Pride comes before a fall" sounds similar in meaning to your example, and also from the bible; but I can't say it is exactly the same proverb,
    Thank you.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fortuny View Post
    Hi everyone!

Thank you very much!
    "Don't stick your neck out" is close. The consequence of doing so is left unsaid in the idiom.
    For example:
    "I don't know why you're sticking your neck out over this. You might lose your job".