That's for MA in International Relations:

Having started studying foreign languages as early as in the kindergarten, I always saw myself as a professional interpreter or a person who travels a lot because of his work duties or just for leisure. While studying at Vologda grammar school, I had my first experience of learning some facts about the foreign cultures, which seriously influenced my views. First of all, the entirely different world outlook the British and the Americans tend to have (as I was told by my language teachers) awoke my interest in the cultural aspects of international communication. Secondly, my keen interest in world politics and global processes conditioned my wish to participate in the School President Elections, which I won and remained the School President for one year - this drove my attention to the political aspects of international relations. As being the President of a school which specialized in teaching English had something in common with being a president of an English-speaking enclave in the Russian-speaking community.

Everything mentioned above conditioned my entering the Faculty of Humanities with major in Intercultural Communication and Linguistics in Saint-Petersburg State Electrotechnical University. At University I wrote some papers and articles mainly devoted to the linguistic aspects of Intercultural Communication. They have become the basis for my thesis, which develops synergic approach to the interpretation of text. While analyzing the object (text itself), it was noticed that text (and language as its realization) bears some interesting features. The point is that systematic view of the object, which is necessary for the synergic approach, reveals basic language functions that start the formation of linguistic world-image, which, in its turn, works as a frame for cultural understanding. In other words, the way one thinks and behaves is entirely determined by one’s linguistic world-image, which is always initial. And this means that the reasons of all disagreements and conflicts that occur in multicultural community could be found by thorough analysis of the ways people interpret. So far, my research has been focused on monolingual field, which had been the heritage of the English and American literature. However, I believe that the exploration of linguistic world-image from the perspective of international relations might give answers to some questions the scholars try to investigate, such as shared and different norms and values, conditioned by similar or different linguistic world-images, or peculiarities of thinking and comprehension that regulate international relations. In other words, this program will help to extend the field of my study to the international society, which, in its turn, will approve (or disapprove) the ideas of language functioning that, actually, can contribute to public benefit and societal change.

It is not a secret that XXXX University is famous for advocating respect for diverse cultures and opinions and promoting the values of the Open Society. What is more, the University provides the intercultural environment that can open the doors of exiting exploration of cultural perspectives and differences, which is the key to critical analysis and substantiation of the main ideas stated in the thesis I currently work on. High level of training is out of doubt, as I am acquainted with XXXX alumni from different departments, and they all tend to be brilliant intellectuals and real professionals in their spheres. These are all major reasons that have determined my choice.

I fully recognize that my relevant career is in cross-cultural relations and academic field. At present, I work part-time as a teacher of English in the Institute of Foreign Languages, which is just the first step on the long way towards my dream. A successful career must always have a solid foundation, which will include both theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the chosen field. XXXX by offering a relevant training and MA degree and also by having a favored international environment is able to provide both for me to fulfill all my wishes in further scientific and professional work. This degree will give an opportunity to move forward to PhD and thereby realize the dream of becoming an expert in teaching Intercultural Communication, or getting the post of a government official for International Relations.

Thanks in advance.