• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you read and correct this article of mine please?

Etna: a natural mountain of rare force

Mount Etna is an active volcano on the east coast of Sicily, close to Messina and Catania. It is the largest active volcano in Europe, currently standing about 3,350 meters (10,991 feet) high, but it should be noted that this varies with the eruptions. Etna is not only a volcano but it is a mountain as well and it is the highest mount in South Italy.
    The people who live on the Sicilyís east coast have always lived uneasily in the shadow of Mount Etna because of its activity. It has erupted 22 times in the past 75 years. When the volcano awakes, it often destroys a dozen of buildings, fields and forests, causing millions of dollarsí worth of damage.
    Lots of teams of scientists often are sent on the volcano to keep an eye on it, to make more and more studies about its activity and to check the seismic activity and the multitude of subtle variations that Etna undergoes each day. This is a very hard job because it might be really dangerous. These scientists can measure the modifications of the ground surface and of the mountain by monitoring the geophysical parameters. In order to do it well, they often have got to walk along the volcano and this always causes a high danger of the scientistsí lives. But nowadays supersophisticated measuring instruments allow the scientists not to hike along the mountain because these instruments can substitute direct observation of scientists most of the time. This volcano is under special control because it is one of the worldís most active volcanoes, possibly the most active. Every man and woman living between Messina and Catania has heard its rumblings or has seen its rivers of lava at least once in their own lives.
    Even though scientists have made a lot of studies on Etna in the latest years and even though they are going on studying it, they cannot predict eruptions with any accuracy yet. They can just concentrate on trying to minimize damage once the lava flows. But Etna is still a danger for many people and above all for people who live in Catania or nearby. During medieval time, in fact, its magma completely destroyed the city of Catania and today the biggest part of this city has been rebuilt by people by using stones of lava.
    Many tourists pay very much money because they want to reach the top of this mountain to admire the outstanding landscape and to take pictures of a unique view that offers strong and striking colours: the black of rocks, the bright blue sky, the deep blue of sea and in winter the white of snow too. That is, Etna is a great show, demonstrating its entire repertoire and if you have enough luck you can even see one of a kind performance and a natural phenomenon of rare force.

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can you read and correct this article of mine please?

Can you read and correct this article of mine please?
    Can you read my article for errors, please?

Is it okay if I come back to you tomorrow?

dilodi83 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Can you read and correct this article of mine please?
    Can you read my article for errors, please?

Is it okay if I come back to you tomorrow?
    Yes, it's okay...Thank you very much for your help!

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Mount Etna is an active volcano on the east coast of Sicily, close to Messina and Catania. It is the largest active volcano in Europe, currently standing about 3,350 meters (10,991 feet) high,

but it should be noted that this height varies with the eruptions. Etna is not only a volcano but it is also the highest mountain as well and it is the highest mountain in South Italy.
    The people who live on the Sicily’s east coast have always lived uneasily in the shadow of Mount Etna because of its activity.

This sentence is not too good.
    People on Sicily’s east coast are living in the shadow of it, knowing that a next eruption may take place at any time.

Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press

It has erupted 22 times in the past 75 years. When the volcano awakes, it often destroys a dozens of buildings, fields and forests, causing millions of dollars’ worth of damage.

Lots of teams of scientists often are often sent on the volcano to keep an eye on it to obseve and monitor activities, to make more and more study about its activity and to check the seismic activities and the multitude of subtle variations that Etna undergoes each day. This is a very hard dangerous job because it might be really dangerous it involves taking a lot of risks. These scientists can measure the modifications of the ground surface and of that of the mountain by monitoring the geophysical parameters. In order to do it precisely,

they often have got to walk along on the volcano and this which always causes a high danger of the scientists’ lives is highly dangerous.

along means two-dimensionally
    volcano is a 3D object
    walking along a volcano? You know what I mean?

But nowadays supersophisticated measuring instruments allow the scientists not to hike along the mountain because these instruments can substitute direct observation of scientists most of the time.

Increasingly, nowadays, however, highly advanced technological instruments replace manpower.

This volcano is under special control because it is one of the world’s most active volcanoes ones, possibly the most active. Every Each man and woman living between Messina and Catania has heard its rumblings or has seen its rivers of lava at least once in their own lives.
    Even though scientists have made a lot of detailed studies on Etna in the latest years or recently and even though they are going on studying it, they cannot predict eruptions with any accuracy yet. They can just concentrate on trying to minimize damage once the lava flows. But Etna is still a danger for many people and above all for people who live in Catania or nearby. During medieval times, in fact, its magma lava completely destroyed the city of Catania and today by now the biggest part of this the city has been rebuilt by people by using lava stones of lava.

Many tourists pay very much money because they want to reach the top of this mountain to admire the outstanding landscape and to take pictures of a unique view that offers strong and striking colours: the black of rocks, the bright blue sky, the deep blue of sea and in winter the white of snow too.

My version:
    Etna is also a tourist attraction. Many people come here to climb the mountain, from where they have a breathtaking view. The landscape ablazes with a riot of clours: black rocks, blue sky, the azure of the sea, white snow

In a nutshell, Etna is a great show, demonstrating its entire repertoire, and if you have enough luck you can even see a one-of-a-kind performance and a natural phenomenon of rare force.