Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: the antecedent

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default the antecedent

    Hi!

    Family passes are available for 50dollars, which allows for two adults and up to three children.

    I think If the antecedent is Family passes, which allow is right because of
    tense agreement. If not, what is the antercedent of which?

    I would like to have your opinions.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the antecedent

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinkl View Post
    Hi!

    Family passes are available for 50dollars, which allows for two adults and up to three children.

    I think If the antecedent is Family passes, which allow is right because of
    tense agreement. If not, what is the antercedent of which?

    I would like to have your opinions.

    Thanks.
    50 dollars is an amount of money. 50 dollars is the antecedent of which.
    BTW, You meant person agreement, and not tense agreement, right?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the antecedent

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    50 dollars is an amount of money. 50 dollars is the antecedent of which.
    BTW, You meant person agreement, and not tense agreement, right?
    Yes, you are right. I made a mistake. It is the singular or plural number agreement.

    Thank you for your explanation.

  4. #4
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the antecedent

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinkl View Post
    Yes, you are right. I made a mistake. It is the singular or plural number agreement.

    Thank you for your explanation.
    number concord? I have lost touch with terminology.

  5. #5
    naomimalan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the antecedent

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinkl View Post
    Hi!

    Family passes are available for 50dollars, which allows for two adults and up to three children.

    I think If the antecedent is Family passes, which allow is right because of
    tense agreement. If not, what is the antercedent of which?

    I would like to have your opinions.

    Thanks.
    In examples like this, the antecedent is not a noun phrase. It is the whole sentence: Family passes are available for 50dollars. Here, which means The fact that family passes are available for 50dollars.

    Oxford Practice Grammar, John Eastwood, OUP 1992, p.164

  6. #6
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21,677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the antecedent

    Family passes are available for 50dollars, which allows for two adults and up to three children.
    In my opinion this is badly worded, it would be much clearer as;

    Family passes, which are available for 50 dollars, allow for two adults and up to three children.

Similar Threads

  1. antecedent of attributive clause
    By enydia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-May-2008, 12:34
  2. antecedent
    By Progress in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2007, 15:02
  3. Can that used as an antecedent in attributive clause?
    By Matthewxua in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-May-2007, 13:27
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-May-2007, 06:10
  5. the antecedent of which
    By TomTom in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2005, 01:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk