evilside is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Writing in English, 03

Transactional letter

Task: You recently entered a competition for learners of English. You have just received this letter from the organisers of the competition, on which you have written some notes. Write a letter in appropriate style.

Dear Ms Ionescu,

Thank you very much for you letter informing me that I have won first prize in your competition for learners of English. I am writing to give you the information you requested and to ask a few questions.

My name is Maria Gabriela Nedelcu but most people call me Gabbie. I was born on June 14 and Iím 20.
    Iím student at the Law University and in the same time, Iím at the Faculty of Management in Public Administration at the Academy of Economic Studies.
    I started studying English when I was 4 years, when my mother hired a tutor teacher who teach me to speak very good English in a short period of time because we had to move in Manchester, England. I lived here for a period of approximately 13 years because my parents have got very good jobs in a famous banks in England. I returned to Romania to pursue the courses of the Law University from Bucharest, university that my parents graduated many years ago.

Due to long period spent in Manchester, I can say that English has become for me as a mother tongue, I can say that English has no secret for me.

You asked which of the two cities (Sidney or Amsterdam) I would like to visit and when. I have chosen Sidney and I would like fly out at the beginning of May and begin my English course immediately. With regard to any special arrangements, would it be possible for me to fly home at the end of May as I would like to spend two weeks visiting relatives in Australia once I have finished the language course?

Turning to my questions, firstly, I would like to know if the flight to Sidney is a direct flight or if there are any stopovers. Could you also tell me how many hours a day the language course is? Finally, I wondered if it would be possible to have a single room with a bathroom in the student hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Mary Simion

Post Thanks / Like

Default re: Writing in English, 03

(not a teacher)

Quote Originally Posted by evilside View Post
    Transactional letter

Task: You recently entered a competition for learners of English. You have just received this letter from the organisers of the competition, on which you have written some notes. Write a letter in appropriate style.

Dear Ms Ionescu,

Thank you very much for you letter informing me that I have won first prize in your competition for learners of English. I am writing to give you the information you requested and to ask a few questions.

My name is Maria Gabriela Nedelcu but most people call me Gabbie. I was born on June 14 and I’m 20 years old.
    I’m a student at the Law University and at the same time, I’m at the Faculty of Management in Public Administration at the Academy of Economic Studies.
    I started studying English when I was 4 years old, when my mother hired a tutor teacher who teach taught me to speak very good English in a short period of time because we had to move in to Manchester, England. I lived was living here for a period of approximately 13 years because my parents have got very good jobs in a famous banks in England. I returned to Romania to pursue the courses of the Law University from at Bucharest, the university that where? my parents graduated many years ago.

Due to long period spent in Manchester, I can say that English has become for meas a mother tongue to me, I can say that English has no secret for me. (A risky statement - why make a course if one knows everything already? ;))

You asked which of the two cities (Sidney or Amsterdam) I would like to visit and when. I have chosen Sidney and I would like to fly out at the beginning of May and begin my English course immediately. With regard to any special arrangements, would it be possible for me to fly home at the end of May as I would like to spend two weeks visiting relatives in Australia once I have finished the language course?

Turning to my questions, firstly, I would like to know if the flight to Sidney is a direct flight or if there are any stopovers. Could you also tell me how many hours a day the language course is? Finally, I wondered if it would be possible to have a single room with a bathroom in the student hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Mary Simion -> Maria Gabriela Nedelcu
    Last edited by Manitoulin; 10-Jan-2009 at 09:12.