Hi,

I'm reading the preface of the book Optimality Theory by Rene Kager, and I'm confused as to what it's saying.

Moreover, OT is surface-based in the sense that well-formedness constraints evaluate surface forms only - no structural conditions are placed on lexical forms. Earlier models had assumed Morpheme Structure Constraints, resulting in the duplication of static and dynamic rules in phonotactics. In contrast, OT entirely abandons the notion of rewrite rule, dissociating 'triggers' and 'repairs'. This serves to explain conspiricies: multiple processes triggered by a single output-oriented goal.
1. Well-formedness constraints? what are they?

2. Structural conditions on lexical forms: can you give me some examples?

3. Duplication of static and dynamic rules in phonotactics: what 'rules' is the book talking about? the first thing that came to my mind was 'reduplication' in morphology, but I don't think that's what 'rules' are referring to.

4. Rewrite rules: as in, how deep structure gets 'rewritten' to the surface form after going through various morphophonemic rules? things like the plural -z becomes voiceless after the voiceless consonants?

5. Conspiricies: does it mean there's something peculiar and perhaps strange about "multiple processes triggered by a single output-oriented goal" and that OT provides the solution to that?

Any insights you can provide with I would very much appreciate.

- HKB