Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. HaraKiriBlade's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Apr 2005
    • Posts: 426
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Inverse vs. Reverse

    Just as the subject says: what is the difference between the word 'inverse' and 'reverse'?

    - HKB


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Inverse vs. Reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade View Post
    Just as the subject says: what is the difference between the word 'inverse' and 'reverse'?

    - HKB

    reverse: opposite direction; backwards
    inverse: change in order

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Inverse vs. Reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    reverse: opposite direction; backwards
    inverse: change in order
    I don't buy this; when things are 'in inverse proportion' order doesn't come into it - it means 'when one gets bigger the other gets smaller and when one gets smaller the other gets bigger'.

    b


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Inverse vs. Reverse

    Inverse is opposite in order or proportion. In language inversion is when the predicate comes before the subject. So it's about order.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Inverse vs. Reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't buy this; when things are 'in inverse proportion' order doesn't come into it - it means 'when one gets bigger the other gets smaller and when one gets smaller the other gets bigger'.

    b
    order:
    logical arrangement of separate elements

    f(x) = 5x

    x-->f(x) = (0;0); (1;5); (2;10); (3.14;5*3.14);....

    inverse:

    x = 5f'(x)
    f'(x) = x/5

    x -->f'(x) = (0;0); (5;1); (10;2); (5*3.14;3.14);...

    Can you see the change in order, Bob?

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Inverse vs. Reverse

    Oh, that kind of order.

    b

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Inverse vs. Reverse

    PS That last post wasn't meant to suggest I knew in detail where the discussion was leading. My maths is 'Best Before End May 1968'. It was just that I recognized what sort of 'order' was involved; it was an 'order of magnitude' sort of reply.

    b


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Inverse vs. Reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    PS That last post wasn't meant to suggest I knew in detail where the discussion was leading. My maths is 'Best Before End May 1968'. It was just that I recognized what sort of 'order' was involved; it was an 'order of magnitude' sort of reply.

    b
    Same here. To add insult to injury, I teach maths.

Similar Threads

  1. to be reverse bartered
    By magdalena in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-Apr-2008, 23:44
  2. quite the reverse
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2008, 00:42
  3. in reverse order OR in the reverse order ???
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2006, 02:30
  4. Reverse / Forward
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2005, 09:25
  5. Reverse dictionary
    By shane in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2004, 00:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •