Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi guys..

What are diffrences between two tenses below ?

He has lived here for 5 years.
He has been living here for 5 years.

Thank you.^^

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In this case, none really, since to live is a continuous process.

I think, however, that "he has lived here for five years" is stylistically more formal and literary than "he has been living here for five years", which is perfectly acceptable vernacular.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am not a teacher, I would like to try:

In First one person gives stress on the result of having been here for 5 years. eg He has lived there for 5 years and nothing has yet changed around him.

In Second one Person gives stress on the time period.

If I am wrong, please do let me know also for my knowledge

Hi guys..

Thank you.^^

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am not a teacher, I would like to try:

In First one person gives stress on the result of having been here for 5 years. eg He has lived there for 5 years and nothing has yet changed around him.

In Second one Person gives stress on the time period.

If I am wrong, please do let me know also for my knowledge

That is a very good way of putting it. I think, though, that this distinction in meaning is such a fine one that it is scarcely noticeable without deep analysis, and that here the basic stylistic difference is more quickly perceived.

Roselin

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys..

He has lived here for 5 years. Has lived means not living here anymore.

He has been living here for 5 years. HAS BEEN LIVING means he is still living in the same place and it's been 5 years that he is there.

Thank you.^^

In the first one.......the action of living has overed whereas in the second one it is still continue.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
In the first one.......the action of living has overed whereas in the second one it is still continue.

that's precisely what I thought it used to mean.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
He has lived here for 5 years. Has lived means not living here anymore.:cross:

He has been living here for 5 years. HAS BEEN LIVING means he is still living in the same place and it's been 5 years that he is there.

They both mean that he has lived in that place for 5 years, maybe he is still living there, maybe not, maybe he's dead.;-)

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
He has lived here for 5 years. Has lived means not living here anymore.:cross:

They both mean that he has lived in that place for 5 years, maybe he is still living there, maybe not, maybe he's dead.;-)

hi,
I wonder whether the sentences mean basically the same because of the verb (live) or because of "for 5 years".
thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
They are both saying the same thing, the first one with present perfect, the second with present perfect continuous. If it said 'He had lived here for 5 years', past perfect, it could mean that he no longer lived there, but not necessarily.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
They are both saying the same thing, the first one with present perfect, the second with present perfect continuous. If it said 'He had lived here for 5 years', past perfect, it could mean that he no longer lived there, but not necessarily.

thanks.

we are taught that the meaning of PP and PPC is precisely how Roselin explained.

my doubt now is if the PP and the PPC mean always the same. if not, could you please provide a few examples?

thanks.

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
hi,
I wonder whether the sentences mean basically the same because of the verb (live) or because of "for 5 years".
thanks.

We distinguish between the dynamic and stative senses of verbs in which they are used to refer to situations. Generally, a verb belongs to either the stative or the dynamic group. It is not uncommon, however, that a verb shifts from one sense to the other (stance verbs).

I have lived here for 5 years. -- state present perfect: refers to a state that began in the past and extends to the present, and will perhaps continue in the future.

I have been living here for 5 years. -- perfect progressive aspect: refers to a temporary situation in progress with limited duration, and conveys a possibility of incompleteness.

Generally:
I have lived... -- a permanent state
I have been living... -- a temporary situation with limited duration

The temporal element (for five years) narrows further possible nuances between the two sentences. :up:

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
We distinguish between the dynamic and stative senses of verbs in which they are used to refer to situations. Generally, a verb belongs to either the stative or the dynamic group. It is not uncommon, however, that a verb shifts from one sense to the other (stance verbs).

I have lived here for 5 years. -- state present perfect: refers to a state that began in the past and extends to the present, and will perhaps continue in the future.

I have been living here for 5 years. -- perfect progressive aspect: refers to a temporary situation in progress with limited duration, and conveys a possibility of incompleteness.

Generally:
I have lived... -- a permanent state
I have been living... -- a temporary situation with limited duration

The temporal element (for five years) narrows further possible nuances between the two sentences. :up:

thanks.
let me see if I understood, please: sometimes the PP describes an action that continues till the present and sometimes it doesn't?
thanks.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
thanks.
let me if I understood, please: sometimes the PP describes an action that continues till the present and sometimes it doesn't?
thanks.

Yes, for example 'I am not hungry, I have just had lunch.' I have had lunch, it is finished but it has an impact on the present because I am not hungry now.

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
thanks.
let me if I understood, please: sometimes the PP describes an action that continues till the present and sometimes it doesn't?
thanks.

I have just got a new job.
I have been in this job for a long time.

Can you answer your question now? ;-)

With the pp, we not only describe events but states as well. :up:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Also, remember that absent context we can never be certain what is meant by a particular sentence.
They are both saying the same thing, the first one with present perfect, the second with present perfect continuous. If it said 'He had lived here for 5 years', past perfect, it could mean that he no longer lives there, but not necessarily. (bhaisahab's comments with one minor change.)

"He has lived here for 5 years" might mean that the person is planning to move. "He has been living here for 5 years" might mean that the person is planning to stay. Absent context we don't know what is meant. We don't know why it was said or what was intended. We do know that the person is living and that that living has been going on "here" for the past five years.

The two expressions can be and often are used to mean the same thing.

has lived
He has lived here for 5 years & I know he would especially like to find some friends from "home."

He has lived here for 5 years. He likes the small community.

So, he has lived here for 5 years loathing it the entire time.
The caller today said he has lived here for 5 years, and knew for a fact there were 28 dogs on the beaches between the harbour and the Tuntas Hotel at the further end of 2nd beach.

Is he even English or does he just qualify because he has lived here for 5 years?

However just to throw the usual spanner into the works, I know of someone locally who is paying taxes as a non resident on his Spanish home even though he has lived here for 5 years, and is paying his Belgian taxes in Belgium separately.

My fiancee and I are interested in applying for a K1 visa. He has lived here for 5 years and we have dated for 3 years, lived together for 2 years.

He has lived here for 5 years. It seems like ever since he moved in she loves him more.

Chris Dillard stated he has lived here for 5 years and it was the mountains and the ocean that drew him here.

has been living
He remembers you all very well. He has been living here for 5 years.

My husband has been living in a suite since January. His job requires him to be away from home.

I realized the other day that I have been living more or less hand to mouth for 18 years. I was supporting myself and paying for undergrad at San Francisco State.

Dr. Metzner lost his home in Hurricane Katrina and has been living in Massachusetts ever since.

Bob Munk has been living with HIV for over 20 years. For the past 7 years he has focused on AIDS research and treatment.

Karen Eichinger Feuer has been living in Israel for almost seven years now. The last three she has been working at Pardes as Assistant to the Dean.

Rachel has been living the single life for six months now since her split with ex-boyfriend Adam Brody.
"has lived" - Yahoo! Search Results
"he has been living" - Yahoo! Search Results

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.