Post Thanks / Like

Question Properly addressing child's teacher in an email?

1) Is ‘title’ the term for Mr. Mrs. Ms etc? If not what is the term?

2) What is the correct way to address a female teacher properly in an email, if you don’t know her marital status?

I am trying to compose an email to my daughter’s high school counselor about changing math classes. The teacher directory only contains first and last names.

3) I pasted below what I have so far, I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on the best way to handle the situation. I am not trying to criticize or blame the teacher in any way. My daughter just needs someone with the patience to give her the extra one on one time she needs when she truly doesn’t understand something. That is not the case with her current teacher.

Thank you,
    Kelly
    --------------------------

Hi Jeanne,

My name is Kelly Bxxxxxxx; my daughter is freshman Destinee Rxxxxxx. Last semester she was in ALGEBRA 1 with Stephanie Mxxxx. This semester she was moved to Algebra 1A...with the same teacher. Although I think transferring to 1A will help, I’m not sure it will be enough. Destinee struggled last semester because she didn’t understand the subject and Mxxxx teaching style did not help. I believe she needs a more disciplined and structured learning environment for her to achieve her full potential.
    She needs someone with the patience to give her the one on one time she needs when she doesn’t understand something.

I would appreciate it if you could give me a call at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,
    Kelly Bxxxxxxx
    (xxx) xxx-xxxx Cell

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Properly addressing child's teacher in an email?

Quote Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
    1) Is ‘title’ the term for Mr. Mrs. Ms etc? If not what is the term?
    Technically speaking, Mr., Mrs., Dr., Father, etc, are called "honorifics" not "titles."

2) What is the correct way to address a female teacher properly in an email, if you don’t know her marital status?
    If you don't know the female's marital status, it is customary to address her as "Ms."

I am trying to compose an email to my daughter’s high school counselor about changing math classes. The teacher directory only contains first and last names.

3) I pasted below what I have so far, I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on the best way to handle the situation. I am not trying to criticize or blame the teacher in any way. My daughter just needs someone with the patience to give her the extra one on one time she needs when she truly doesn’t understand something. That is not the case with her current teacher.
    [/uote]
    Thank you,
    Kelly
    --------------------------

Hi Jeanne,

My name is Kelly Bxxxxxxx; my daughter is freshman Destinee Rxxxxxx. Last semester she was in ALGEBRA 1 with Stephanie Mxxxx. This semester she was moved to Algebra 1A...with the same teacher. Although I think transferring to 1A will help, I’m not sure it will be enough. Destinee struggled last semester because she didn’t understand the subject and Mxxxx teaching style did not help. I believe she needs a more disciplined and structured learning environment for her to achieve her full potential.
    She needs someone with the patience to give her the one on one time she needs when she doesn’t understand something.

I would appreciate it if you could give me a call at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,
    Kelly Bxxxxxxx
    (xxx) xxx-xxxx Cell

Do NOT begin your email with "Hi, Jeanne." It is far too informal for this situation. Your salutation should read "Dear Ms. Xxxxxx,". Likewise, when mentioning other teachers' names in your email, include the honorific "Ms." - "Last semester she was in ALGEBRA 1 with Ms. Stephanie Mxxxx."

"Destinee struggled last semester because she didn’t understand the subject and, unfortunately, Ms. Mxxxx'a teaching style did not help."

You might want to add something like the following to your email:

"Please understand that I am in no way criticizing Ms. Mxxx's teaching ability; I just believe that her particular style, for whatever reason, does not suit Destinee's needs."

Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Properly addressing child's teacher in an email?

I totally agree with what has been posted. I'm afraid that sometimes I feel that I am spitting into the wind with my old-fashioned ideas of proper writing etiquette. In my opinion, adressing a child's teacher, coach or other authority figure by their first name is inapropriate, and seems to diminish their professional capacity.

The only exception would be if the teacher is already a personal friend or relative.