Spend time doing something VS spend time to do something

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssxia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,

I would like to confirm which usage is correct. I think "spend time doing something" is correct. For example, "thank you for spending time reading my post".

However, I have seen people using "spend time to do something", for example, I googled about 1000 results of "spend time to visit".

Thanks.

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,

I would like to confirm which usage is correct. I think "spend time doing something" is correct. For example, "thank you for spending time reading my post".

However, I have seen people using "spend time to do something", for example, I googled about 1000 results of "spend time to visit".

Thanks.

Both are correct but different in meaning.

To spend time doing something
means you use the time available to you for something.

I spent a lot of time (at the station) seeing you. -- It means you were there and was seeing her in the meantime.
I spent a lot of time (at the station) to see you (=reason clause). -- The reason why I was there was to meet you when you arrived at the station.

Mind you, in not all circuimstances is it possible to use both the '-ing' and the 'to' version. They do not always make sense:

I spent time cleaning the house. -- makes sense: you were cleaning
I spent time to clean the house. -- does not make sense: the reason why you spent time was to clean the house.

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.