Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Where does the writer expresses her opinion on the subject? How does she organize?

I've got homework from school, and it's something I haven't got the hang of yet. Due pretty soon too.

I just have two questions in my mind that I am not clear of and I need to be clear of it.

So this is the article I'm analysing, and I'm suppose to write an essay about it: Dean Tolson, a former basketball star at Arkansas, - 05.30.88 - SI Vault

I have two questions:
    a) Where, in which quotes, does the writer express her opinion on the subject? (please give me a few examples maybe two or three quotes)
    b) How does she organized her article? How does she introduce different parts, how much information she gives all the way from the begining to the end?

I'm just stuck on those two point, so please help. Thanks.

btw: She's writing from a third person point of view right? Or is this called second person?

English-coach is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Where does the writer expresses her opinion on the subject? How does she organize

I have two questions:
    a) Where, in which quotes, does the writer express her opinion on the subject? (please give me a few examples maybe two or three quotes)
    b) How does she organized her article? How does she introduce different parts, how much information she gives all the way from the begining to the end?

OK...first of all..its a really great article huh...very interesting but I can see why you are having trouble with those two points.

I don't want to do it for you but here is a suggestion. Try to find examples of corruption on the school system and the rules of basketball legues. Why was it so easy for Tolson to get through school with such bad grades? I think once you find those examples you will see what idea the writer is trying to paint for the reader.

b) It is obvious that this article is NOT like a typical intro, content conclusion. Does she talk about facts of does she paint pictures... (hint...grab a paint brush :) Think about what situations or pictures she paints...then talk about how she flows from one picture or situation to another.

If you are still having trouble I can help more. Try for yourself first though. :)

Good luck!
    Diana
    http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com
    Last edited by English-coach; 25-Jan-2009 at 11:59.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where does the writer expresses her opinion on the subject? How does she organize

Quote Originally Posted by English-coach View Post
    I have two questions:

OK...first of all..its a really great article huh...very interesting but I can see why you are having trouble with those two points.

I don't want to do it for you but here is a suggestion. Try to find examples of corruption on the school system and the rules of basketball legues. Why was it so easy for Tolson to get through school with such bad grades? I think once you find those examples you will see what idea the writer is trying to paint for the reader.

b) It is obvious that this article is NOT like a typical intro, content conclusion. Does she talk about facts of does she paint pictures... (hint...grab a paint brush :) Think about what situations or pictures she paints...then talk about how she flows from one picture or situation to another.

If you are still having trouble I can help more. Try for yourself first though. :)

Good luck!
    Diana
    Thanks a lot Diana! I'm not looking for someone to do it for me either, it's my favorite subject, I enjoy doing it, just got stuck.

Thanks for the hint!
    Last edited by Anglika; 16-Jan-2009 at 12:31.

English-coach is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where does the writer expresses her opinion on the subject? How does she organize

You are welcome. How did it go? Did you figure it out? I'd be interesting in seeing what you thought.