Thread: Subjuntive Mood

MARAMARA is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Subjuntive Mood

Hello. I would like to know in which cases British people use the subjunctive mood , only in cases that are contrary to fact, supposed or subjective? . For this reason, can you tell me which of these two sentences is rightly written?:
    "It seems that the people in this country have their own reasons to call it `The country of the long shadows`."
    "It might seem that the people in this country had their own reasons to call it `The country of the long shadows`."
    (This one is subjuntive for me, because it is an appreciation more personal than a fact)
    I really don´t understand this matter; besides, I would like to know if it is important enough for my English learning.
    Thanks in advance.

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Subjuntive Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MARAMARA View Post
    Hello. I would like to know in which cases British people use the subjunctive mood , only in cases that are contrary to fact, supposed or subjective? . For this reason, can you tell me which of these two sentences is rightly written?:
    "It seems that the people in this country have their own reasons to call it `The country of the long shadows`."
    "It might seem that the people in this country had their own reasons to call it `The country of the long shadows`."
    (This one is subjuntive for me, because it is an appreciation more personal than a fact)
    I really don´t understand this matter; besides, I would like to know if it is important enough for my English learning.
    Thanks in advance.
    The subjunctive mood is used for non-factual situations.

It seems that the people in this country have/had their own reasons to call it `The country of the long shadows

The Subjunctive

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

In the second you are saying that it is possible, from appearances, to believe that at some time in the past the people used to have their own reasons.

Whereas the first says that it appears to be the case that the people currently have their own reasons.

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

MARAMARA is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Iam very thanked for all the answers. I´m going to read all the useful sites you have sent me.
    Thanks.