Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Volcano1985's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 884
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Whatever vs Whatsoever

    The chairman had to admit that he had nothing further to add..........at the annual meeting in Brussels.

    A)Morever
    B)Whatever
    C)As well
    D)Which
    E)Whatsoever

    Why is the answer whatsoever ?

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,848
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Smile Re: Whatever vs Whatsoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    The chairman had to admit that he had nothing further to add..........at the annual meeting in Brussels.

    A)Morever
    B)Whatever
    C)As well
    D)Which
    E)Whatsoever

    Why is the answer whatsoever ?
    whatsoever means (not) at all

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 919
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Whatever vs Whatsoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    The chairman had to admit that he had nothing further to add..........at the annual meeting in Brussels.

    A)Morever
    B)Whatever
    C)As well
    D)Which
    E)Whatsoever

    Why is the answer whatsoever ?
    I'd like to add to Engee30. These are both correct:

    (a) The chairman had to admit that he had nothing whatever further to add.

    (b) The chairman had to admit that he had nothing further to add whatsoever.

    Whatever=whatsoever (anything at all), but whatsoever is stronger; it is used at the end of a sentence, or at any rate after the verb, and usually carries the stress.
    Last edited by abaka; 19-Jan-2009 at 21:20.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,848
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Red face Re: Whatever vs Whatsoever

    Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    I'd like to add to Engee30. These are both correct:

    (a) The chairman had to admit that he had nothing whatever further to add.

    (b) The chairman had to admit that he had nothing further to add whatsoever.

    Whatever=whatsoever (anything at all), but whatsoever is stronger; it is used at the end of a sentence, or at any rate after the verb.
    It seems to me that this test question is a bit screwed up. Either whatever or whatsoever could easily be put into that gap.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 919
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Whatever vs Whatsoever

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    It seems to me that this test question is a bit screwed up. Either whatever or whatsoever could easily be put into that gap.
    Strictly speaking that's true, I think.

    "whatsoever things are true, ponder those things" -- somewhere in the New Testament.

    But the modern usage does distinguish their relative strength.

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,848
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Unhappy Re: Whatever vs Whatsoever

    Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Strictly speaking that's true, I think.

    "whatsoever things are true, ponder those things" -- somewhere in the New Testament.

    But the modern usage does distinguish their relative strength.
    That's exactly what I know about the two - one being stronger than the other. But the text, as it is, doesn't denote the use of emphasis, does it?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 919
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Whatever vs Whatsoever

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    That's exactly what I know about the two - one being stronger than the other. But the text, as it is, doesn't denote the use of emphasis, does it?
    Well, usually the stress rises as you get closer to the end (or the beginning) of a sentence.

Similar Threads

  1. family, walk,whatsoever
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2008, 09:12
  2. whatever vs whatsoever
    By awatef in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Aug-2008, 22:40
  3. Whatsoever
    By nyggus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2008, 10:34
  4. Whatsoever vs. at all
    By nyggus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2007, 11:51
  5. Whatever vs. whatsoever
    By Sarah Shaw-Gray in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2005, 10:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •