Post Thanks / Like

Default still about the aforementioned "as"

Sorry,I am still a little confused about why the sentence I previously mentioned "the speech as reported by the journal is worth reading"Since the "as" here,like what teacher you said,is a relative pronoun,why the first"is" can be deleted in this sentence?shoudn't it be" the speech as is reported by the journal is worth reading "or" the speech which/that is reported by the journal is worth reading"or even without any relative pronoun" the speech reported by the journal is worth reading"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: still about the aforementioned "as"

Quote Originally Posted by 760831
    Sorry,I am still a little confused about why the sentence I previously mentioned "the speech as reported by the journal is worth reading" Since the "as" here, like what teacher you said, is a relative pronoun, why the first "is" can be deleted in this sentence? shoudn't it be "the speech as is reported by the journal is worth reading "or" the speech which/that is reported by the journal is worth reading" or even without any relative pronoun" the speech reported by the journal is worth reading"?
    Relative: in the manner that
    His speech as (in the manner that) it was reported by the journal is worth reading.

Above, the underlined portion modifies the noun "His speech"; 'as' means, in the manner that), whereas below, 'as' has a different function. It joins two like units: the clause "His speech is worth reading" and the clause "the journal reported":

Conjunction: joins to like units
    His speech is worth reading as the journal reported.

With 'as', we have only two choices: it's either a conjunction or a relative.