Post Thanks / Like

Default Any tips for learning grammar before I start my CELTA?

Hi,

I've just been accepted onto a CELTA course, which starts in February. I am really excited but realise that I've got lots to learn!

I am currently reading through 'Practical English Usage', as I need to polish-up on my grammar (or rather learn it!). However, I am finding it difficult to retain the information. I am working through the tasks in the pre-course book, which I am able to complete but find it difficult to remember the grammar that I have just learnt.

If anybody has any tips/strategies I would be most grateful.

Thanks

maha muhamed is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any tips for learning grammar before I start my CELTA?

HI DEAR
    i have got this same book but i dont know whether both of them produed at the same year
    my advice is to read few rules and then read something else after few days come back to same rules and reamd them a gaine . i think this can be useful
    good luck

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure how you are trying to learn it, but while that is a very useful book, it is not broken into related sections, so it will be choppy and disjointed if you are trying to read through it. Why not take an area of grammar, then group the relevant sections together and read them together. Then imagine trying to explain what you have read to a learner to see what you have understood. IMO understanding grammar is vital- you will come across learners with an astonishing knowledge of terms and rules, but who haven't mastered putting them into practice, which is really what grammar is all about to me.

Airone is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to do the same thing with unsatisfactory results. The problem was that I had no base in grammar and so the rules (guidelines actually in Swan) were too vague for me. Actually I didn't use Swan much for my first year teaching english, because I myself didn't have the grammatical knowledge necessary to "get" the rules. Now I use it almost on a daily basis.

Take a look at English Grammar in use; even though the book is designed for non-native speakers, the lessons are grouped logically and Murphy presents the rules in a straightforward "if x, then y" format which is not always entirely accurate, but is a lot more approachable, in my view, than Swan.

PS Celta teachers are used to complete grammar neophytes so even if you don't know anything about grammar you should do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lilly anne View Post
    Hi,

I've just been accepted onto a CELTA course, which starts in February. I am really excited but realise that I've got lots to learn!

I am currently reading through 'Practical English Usage', as I need to polish-up on my grammar (or rather learn it!). However, I am finding it difficult to retain the information. I am working through the tasks in the pre-course book, which I am able to complete but find it difficult to remember the grammar that I have just learnt.

If anybody has any tips/strategies I would be most grateful.

Thanks

I'm With Stupid is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to use the Swan book for a while, until an experienced teacher recommended A Practical English Grammar by Thompson and Martinet. I found it far more user-friendly. I got a second hand, but perfect copy for 5 on Amazon.

Hsiung_K is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been through TESL training; I wanted the certificate to make it legitimate when I apply to teach general English. I discover that one should adhere to the type of English he or she is most familiar with. For example, I grew up learning American English, and so when I did teaching demonstrations I always chose American English contents. I also bought Michael Swan's book, considered a classic for British English. However I seldom use it except when I have to teach British English grammar (following the class textbook). But I always revert back to my American English reference books because they explain the concepts in ways that I can easily understand and remember. I suggest you not worry too much about brushing up on your grammar. Whatever is needed in the course will be explained. I find the grammar explained in the TESL course is much easier than what many students who have not taken the training believe it to be. Grammar is a small part of the TESL training. Like you, I was so worried that I might not remember the required British English grammar for the tests or teaching demonstrations. I did well because it was so easy. What I eventually teach for pay is much harder (SAT, TOEFL and GED Writing). Therefore do not needlessly worry.

My TEFL trainer was Australian and so he explained grammar the way he knew well. However, he was flexible to accept my variation of grammar (American version). I think the same will happen in your CELTA class.

I hope you have a pleasant experience in your training and come back to post about it here for us to read.