• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please correct

I am doing okay. My health has improved since moving from St. Louis to Charlotte. (I don't have the sinus problems that I used to have.)

I am impressed with all the things you are studying. You must be learning a great deal. It is good to live in a country where the citizens are taught that they have rights. (Say: "our rights as Filipino citizxens")

There is no doubt that things could be better in the Filipines, but it is better there than in many other countries.

You may send me a picture by email or post it on the forum. I would be interested in seeing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Ronbee,
    Merry Christmas! Christmas seems to be less hectic this year. There seems to be less buying binges. This may be because of the poor economy. I saw many vehicular accidents and most were alcohol related. Filipino men love to drink during the holidays. In our country drunk driving is not severely punished.
    It is also shocking to hear thousands died because of the tsunami. What a disaster! I hope technology can be applied to prevent future disasters like this. Better communication should be developed to warn people and save lives.
    As I lie on my comfortable bed, I cant help but feel pity for those who lost their homes and family members. It was so unexpected and in an instant everything they held dear were wiped out! Is the end of the world near? So many disasters occured within a short period of time!
    RAM

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Merry Christmas to you too!

If you must drink you shouldn't drive. (Just my opinion, of course.) (One time I had had a little too much wine, and I had to tell my guests that I was in no shape to drive them home. (That was when I was still driving.))

The loss of life due to the tsunami is tragic. I am sure there is a way to warn people when a tsunami is approaching, but it would be necessary to develop better communications. (Tsunamis are caused by such things as earthquakes or massive landslides.)

No, the end of the world is not near.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Please correct

Dear Ronbee,
    Happy new year! The coming of the new year is also a much celebrated event in our country. The year is usually celebrated with much funfare, loud noise (ie cans behind moving vehicles, native canons, trumpets etc), loud music, firecrackers and lights, and of course lots of food. Sounds usually go into crescendo and peak at midnight. My sister and I are not allowed to light even one firecracker because our parents think they are not safe. We are instead given large trumpets to blow. From midnight on, our parents become busy treating asthma (caused by firecracker smoke), blast injuries, and car accidents (alcohol related as usual). I love to look at fireworks esp the ones we call fountain, ferris wheel and the ones that look like spider webs in the sky. There are bad people though who use their guns to create noise. Gunshot wounds from wayward bullets are also not uncommon. Sometimes, I feel it is not safe to stay outside when we hear gunshots. We learn to differentiate gunshots from mere firecrackers.
    We celebrate new year with midnight mass then a small midnight dinner. Round fruits, different kinds of them, are usually in the table to bring luck. Pineapple is also served because it is believe to be good for business. I asked my mom why it is so, she said pineapples has many eyes. Eyes brings sight which to our native language is "kita". "Kita" also means earnings. Many kita means also many earnings!
    I have to go now. Again, happy new year to you.
    RAM

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Please correct

That's a terrific posting!

I agree with your parents. Fireworks should be left to the experts. Too many injuries are caused by amateurs playing with fireworks (mainly due to carelessness).

Are your parents doctors?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Please correct

Happy new year!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Some suggestions.

Say:
    the new year or New Year's
    Say:

on the table
    Say:
    it is believed to be
    Say:
    pineapples have many eyes
    Say:
    Eyes bring sight
    Rather than many earnings, much money or much profit would be better.
    Happy new year!

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Ronbee,
    Thanks again for the corrections.
    Classes began last January 4. The first few days were hectic. Aside from still being dazed by the holidays, we were required to extend our time in school to practice for the school band concert. I play the violin. The concert lasted for two hours! We played a wide range of music, from classic to modern ones, English and local songs. We played songs from the Phantom of the Opera and also Bohemian Rhapsody by the Queen. My mom told me we played well and it was a success!
    Some of our scores from the tests came in. I guess my scores are average.
    I kept distracted by my PS 2. I think I should keep it while school is still on and play with it during vacation. May be I would get higher grades when I stop playing playstation, what do you think? wink.
    RAM
    PS I get nightmares when I think of the Tsunami victims! I feel sorry for the families who have lost love ones.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think that if you overdid it playing games on Playstation that could have affected your grades.

(That is quite a good posting. Quite interesting.)

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Ronbee,
    I can't seem to stay away from my playstation. The games are so interesting. My sister and I play together. She is four years old and is in kindergarten. She can already read simple english words and add small numbers. Her name is Angel. We have a great time playing together. Sometimes she amazes me with her skills. I think she is a bright!
    My parents are very busy right now. They are making extensions in our hospital. It is a three storey building with operating rooms, x-rays, laboratory and pharmacy. We live in a small town and their patients are usually from our town and neighboring towns.
    In school, we are being taught how to make a wooden waste basket. I dont know if I can make it well because I can't even use the hammer properly. Before, we were taught to make a dish garden. It was nice to look at at first. It looked like a small tropical jungle then one by one the plants wilted.
    There will be another holiday coming up. We will have no classes on Thursday. It will be the feastday of St. Sebastian, the patron saint of the city where our school is located. We call this day FIESTA, which means lots of food again! No wonder, most of us are becoming overweight!
    I wish I know how to send you pictures. Everytime I push the button insert pictures, nothing happens. I want to send you our recent christmas picture.
    RAM

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast