Results 1 to 5 of 5

Hybrid View

  1. Volcano1985's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 877
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Modals of Certainty Degree of Certainty

    MODALS OF CERTAINTY DEGREE OF CERTAINTY

    She is a doctor. is + 100%
    He may be an architect. may be 80%
    He might be a civil engineer. might be 60%
    He could be an art professor. could be 40%
    She isn't a lawyer. is not - 100%


    Hello, I saw this on british council site

    I was taught could is more possiblier than may/might, but I see the opposite here.Was I taught wrong?

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Cool Re: Modals of Certainty Degree of Certainty

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    MODALS OF CERTAINTY DEGREE OF CERTAINTY

    She is a doctor. is + 100%
    He may be an architect. may be 80%
    He might be a civil engineer. might be 60%
    He could be an art professor. could be 40%
    She isn't a lawyer. is not - 100%


    Hello, I saw this on british council site

    I was taught could is more possiblier than may/might, but I see the opposite here.Was I taught wrong?
    I once wrote about this distinction. Remember - what really matters is the fact that you put something withing a modal meaning. The use of any modal verb is sufficient to convey a sense of certainty/possibility.

    Anyway, check it out again:
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...ould-have.html

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,049
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Modals of Certainty Degree of Certainty

    Hi Charles

    So far you have said that Engee is wrong, but you have not said why. I would appreciate your response very much.

    Hi Engee

    I remember learning that 'may' is less likely than 'might', but I was told by an American native speaker that they mean the same. That confuses me and that's why I posted the question.

    Maybe there is a difference between British and American English in the use of these two words. Do you think so?

    Thanks for your help.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,316
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Modals of Certainty Degree of Certainty

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Hi Charles

    So far you have said that Engee is wrong, but you have not said why. I would appreciate your response very much.
    I can't tell you why yellow means yellow or barely means barely or might means might. I can just comment on usage. Maybe the British do have different meanings for may and might. It's news to me.

    But again, I'm only commenting on the sense of the words in your particular example. Again, in other cases, they do have different meanings.

    Now - what are we doing over here on this thread?

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Smile Re: Modals of Certainty Degree of Certainty

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    [B]
    Hi Engee

    I remember learning that 'may' is less likely than 'might', but I was told by an American native speaker that they mean the same. That confuses me and that's why I posted the question.

    Maybe there is a difference between British and American English in the use of these two words. Do you think so?

    Thanks for your help.
    I reckon there is such a difference. I am also inclined to agree that they mean the same, though. It's all about the way we, non-natives, have been taught those rules. The rules may differ in some way, but, at the same time, they share certain similarities.

Similar Threads

  1. College Degree
    By Unregistered in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2008, 04:53
  2. Scale Unit / Degree
    By Dany in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2007, 11:14
  3. Degree of certainty "would"
    By ratna in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2007, 18:40
  4. modals & degree of certainty
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Mar-2006, 07:33
  5. I think - What is the degree of certainty?
    By jose maria in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-May-2005, 16:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •