Thread: My doubts

• Post Thanks / Like

My doubts

Please, there are 2 songs by Metallica, "Dyer's Eve" and "The Frayed ends of sanity". The first one was translated to portuguese as "No sleeping people's night" and the last one as "Last pieces of sanity" or something like this. Are these translations really right?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: My doubts

Quote Originally Posted by unnamed feeling View Post
    Please, there are 2 songs by Metallica, "Dyer's Eve" and "The Frayed ends of sanity". The first one was translated to portuguese as "No sleeping people's night" and the last one as "Last pieces of sanity" or something like this. Are these translations really right?
    Titles are very often not translated literally. As here. Do the Portuguese titles make sense to you, at least? In fact a literal translation is very often an extremely poor one, not just for a title, but for any piece of text. A translated title in particular must resonate in the target culture as much as the original title does in the source culture. For this reason, the same books have been published in England and the USA under different titles: the works of Agatha Christie come to mind.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Titles are very often not translated literally. As here. Do the Portuguese titles make sense to you, at least? In fact a literal translation is very often an extremely poor one, not just for a title, but for any piece of text. A translated title in particular must resonate in the target culture as much as the original title does in the source culture. For this reason, the same books have been published in England and the USA under different titles: the works of Agatha Christie come to mind.
    Thank you. But, "Dyer's Eve" makes any sense to me, according to the translation. I know Eve comes from Evening, but, what about Dyer's? I've already searched for it on a dictionary, and that word didn't is on there.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Dyer: someone who dyes carpets, etc.
    A common last name, like Smith.

Here: A pun on the word "dire" = "terrible". "To dye with blood". "All Hallows Eve" (Hallowe'en). I'm not sure that these are all correct, but there may be echoes of some of them in what Metallica had in mind.