ryansc is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

pronounciation question.

Hello, I have been studying english for some time. My biggest problem is pronunciation. It doesn't seem to be improving as much as I hope. I have a pronunciation question that bothers me all the time.

Everytime I say something like "Would the ..." I get tongue-tied. When a d and a th come together, it's hard to move my tongue accordingly. When I pronounce a d, the tip of my tongue touches the back of my front teeth. And when I pronounce a th, my tongue goes between my front teeth and bottom teeth. It is really difficult to move from a d to a th. I practiced like crazy but I still can't do it naturally. For native speakers, are you guys using any other easier way to pronounce these words?
    For example, "Would the movie break the record?"

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: pronounciation question.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansc View Post
    Hello, I have been studying english for some time. My biggest problem is pronunciation. It doesn't seem to be improving as much as I hope. I have a pronunciation question that bothers me all the time.

Everytime I say something like "Would the ..." I get tongue-tied. When a d and a th come together, it's hard to move my tongue accordingly. When I pronounce a d, the tip of my tongue touches the back of my front teeth. And when I pronounce a th, my tongue goes between my front teeth and bottom teeth. It is really difficult to move from a d to a th. I practiced like crazy but I still can't do it naturally. For native speakers, are you guys using any other easier way to pronounce these words?
    For example, "Would the movie break the record?"
    An English /d/ is normally produced with the tongue tip at the alveolar ridge. Your attempting a dental /d/ before /th/ might not be a good idea, because, as you say, you still have to slide it between your teeth between the /d/ and /th/.
    For "Would the ..." I find I make only one tongue position. The tongue tip goes between the teeth in anticipation of the /th/ while simultaneously the part of tongue behind the tip touches the alveolar ridge momentarily to make a proper alveolar /d/. This is also the case in words like "width, breadth ..."
    (It might not work for you!)

ryansc is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for ur reply. So are you saying that when you pronounce a word with a d and th together, your tip slides between the teeth and instead the upper middle part of your tongue touchs the alveolar ridge?

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryansc View Post
    Thanks for ur reply. So are you saying that when you pronounce a word with a d and th together, your tip slides between the teeth and instead the upper middle part of your tongue touchs the alveolar ridge?
    Yes, when talking at normal speed or faster.