• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile What is the difference between "question" and "problem"?

Q1? What is the difference between “question” and “problem”?When T have students do exercise in English grammar or something else, the teacher or students might say
    T: "Do you have any questions about question 2 at the end of chapter 4?"
    S: I guess these questions are so tricky. I’m stuck. Can you drop a hint/ give me a hint?
    However, when T gives studednts homework, T might say "You have to do all the problems at the end of chapter 4" So my question is what is the difference between "question" and "problem". Are they interchangeable in usage?I guess both terms have somehing in common in that they are used to check students' understanding. However, the choice of term "question" or "problem" can be different depending on contexts. The term "question" is used to ask for correct information based on contents of the reading passage. while "problem" is used when asking for the answer from logical procedure to calculate mathmatically.
    Can you help me to unerstand the use of two terms? To native speakers, it can be meaningless, but EFL learners, they can be confused by slight differences.

Q2> Do you know how to describe the sound from one’s stomach, when someone is hungry in written context. For example, to describe the situation in which someone is sleeping in comic books, I think writers use ‘zzzz’.

Thanks in advance.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the difference between "question" and "problem"?

A question can sound less serious than a problem- it might be cleared up with a simple explanation while a problem might take dedidcated effort. There's clearly plenty of common ground in the middle, but it sounds more positive.

2. Rumble