Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Pls Correct

  1. #1
    polygon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pls Correct

    In Hong Kong, it is quite common to ask a friend or a relative for money and I see this quite a lot. Damage to the friendship or not, it depends on how much and how long you return the money to the lender.

    I have many friends and colleagues who sometimes ask people for a small amount of money to pay for lunch or taxi etc. They usually pay back the money very soon. I do not mind to borrow money to them and I do not think that will hurt our friendship because I think that they do not have the money at that time and that is the reason for them to borrow money from other people or may be it is more convenient to ask people to pay the money for them first because the amount is very trivial. I would not remember it or write down the loan intentionally. I trust the borrower and I believe that the borrower will return the money to me without asking.

    I also have some friends who may ask people for a large amount of money. In this case, I will listen to his reason first. If he has a sensible reason for business or for other friends or relatives etc. and if I trust the person, then I will still lend the money to him. However, there are some people who likes to borrow money from people all the time. The money may be small but they will not return the money to the lender on time or the lender has to ask him to return the money all the time and he may have thousands of excuses to explain why he can not return the money. For these people, I would blacklist them and I would avoid to lend them any money because I think they are not my friends. They are taking me advantage.

    In conclusion, there are some manners for people to borrow money from people. Personally, I think there are two rules for people to keep. First, the borrower must return the money on time the sooner the better. Second, do not ask people for a large amount of money unless the lender is a very close friend of you. If people do not break these two golden rules, then I do not think that borrowing money from people will harm or damage the friendship.

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pls Correct

    Quote Originally Posted by polygon View Post
    In Hong Kong, it is quite common to ask a friend or a relative for money and I see this quite a lot. Damage to the friendship or not, it depends on how much and how long you return the money to the lender.
    In Hong Kong, it is quite common to ask a friend or a relative for money, and I see this quite a lot. Whether the friendship is damaged or not depends on the amount of the loan and how long it takes for the money to be returned to the lender.


  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pls Correct

    Quote Originally Posted by polygon View Post
    I have many friends and colleagues who sometimes ask people for a small amount of money to pay for lunch or taxi etc. They usually pay back the money very soon. I do not mind to borrow money to them and I do not think that will hurt our friendship because I think that they do not have the money at that time and that is the reason for them to borrow money from other people or may be it is more convenient to ask people to pay the money for them first because the amount is very trivial. I would not remember it or write down the loan intentionally. I trust the borrower and I believe that the borrower will return the money to me without asking.
    I have many friends and colleagues who sometimes ask people for a small amount of money to pay for lunch or taxi fare or whatever. They usually pay back the money very soon. I do not mind loaning money to them, and I do not think it will hurt our friendship because I think that they do not have the money at that time and the money is used to cover incidental expenses. I do not bother to remember the loan nor do I write down the amount I leant the person. I believe that the borrower will return the money to me without my asking.
    What do you think?


  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pls Correct

    Quote Originally Posted by polygon View Post

    I also have some friends who may ask people for a large amount of money.
    I also have some friends who like to ask people for large amounts of money.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pls Correct

    Rules of etiquette for borrowing money from friends and associates.


Similar Threads

  1. [General] Correct use of 'Program' and 'Programme'
    By jasont in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2010, 11:08
  2. Is this sentence correct?
    By snade17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2009, 01:12
  3. Correct them plz
    By twilit1988 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2008, 15:54
  4. Correct mistakes in passage
    By Wai_Wai in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2008, 08:27
  5. Correct / wrong...
    By tangelatm in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2006, 23:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •