Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Subject and Verb

2. is incorrect with 'to'; 4. is incorrect.

• Post Thanks / Like

Why is this incorrect?

1. I request that Jill to pick up the ball.
    2. I asked Jill to pick up the ball. (#2 is correct, why isn't #1 correct?)
    3. I ask that Jill to pick up the ball. (If this is incorrect, why? Is it because this is a subjunctive mood?)

Are these correct? If no, why?
    4. This is a subjunctive mood. (What does this mean?)
    5. This is subjunctive mood. (What does this mean?)
    Last edited by jack; 02-Dec-2004 at 04:50.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Subject and Verb

Re:
    God save the Queen.
    Not being British, I really don't know what it means for God to save the Queen. Perhaps Red or Tdol can answer that one.

Certain verbs and prepositions tend to go together. Native speakers rarely think about why that is. (It might give them headaches.) Thus, they have difficulty explaining it. When a person wants a specific action performed by another person he will ask that prson to do that action. The words ask and to are paired with great frequency. (I will leave any additional explanation up to Cas.)

• Post Thanks / Like

Are these correct? If not, how can I repair it?

1. The word 'electronic' and 'electronics' is driving me nuts. (So this is okay colloquially?)
    2. The word 'electronic' and 'electronics' are driving me nuts. (This doesn't look right here?)

Is this how I repair it?
    3. The word 'electronic' is driving me nuts and the word 'electronics' is driving me nuts too.
    4. (Is this a better sentence for #3?). The word 'electronic' is driving me nuts and so is the word 'electronics'.

5. The words 'electronic' and 'eletronics' are driving me nuts. (What is the subject and verb here? If this sentence is incorrect, why? Is this sentence correct without the colon between 'words' and 'electronic'?)

6. These words: 'electronic' and 'eletronics' are driving me nuts. (Is this correct? How come #5 sounds kind of odd with 'the words'? )
    Last edited by jack; 08-Dec-2004 at 04:37.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Are these correct? If not, how can I repair it?

1. The word 'electronic' and 'electronics' is driving me nuts. (So this is okay colloquially?)
    2. The word 'electronic' and 'electronics' are driving me nuts. (This doesn't look right here?)

Is this how I repair it?
    3. The word 'electronic' is driving me nuts and the word 'electronics' is driving me nuts too.
    4. (Is this a better sentence for #3?). The word 'electronic' is driving me nuts and so is the word 'electronics'.

5. The words 'electronic' and 'eletronics' are driving me nuts. (What is the subject and verb here? If this sentence is incorrect, why? Is this sentence correct without the colon between 'words' and 'electronic'?)

6. These words: 'electronic' and 'eletronics' are driving me nuts. (Is this correct? How come #5 sounds kind of odd with 'the words'? )
    You have it just right with number 5. The subject is words (or: the words electronic and electronics). The verb is are driving. I don't know why number 5 sounds odd. Perhaps you are not used to that consrtuction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2