Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: reported speech

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default reported speech

    In Azar's blue book

    Immediate reporting:
    What did ths the teacher just said? I didn't hear him.
    He said he wants us to read Chapter Six.

    I wonder that if in formal English, should one stick to simple past?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Immediate reporting:
    What did ths the teacher just said? I didn't hear him.
    He said he wants us to read Chapter Six.

    I wonder that if in formal English, should one stick to simple past?
    Sam: What did the teacher just say?
    Max: She said she wants us to read Chapter six. Fact

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Max: She said she wants us to read Chapter six.
    Is it alright for Max to say "She said she wanted us to read Chapter six."

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Is it alright for Max to say "She said she wanted us to read Chapter six."
    Yes, that would be all right (two words).

    The verb in reported speech is not fixed in stone. In early reported speech (soon after the quote or when the other person is still talking (on the telephone, for example), many will use the present tense. In late reported speech (days later), the past tense is far more common. With intermediate reported speech, there is a good deal of variation, depending on the speaker. Because the reported speech has already taken place when it is reported, it is difficult to rule out the past tense in any circumstance. However, when there has a been a time gap, the present tense becomes less acceptable as the time gap widens.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Sam: What did the teacher just say?
    Max: She said she wants us to read Chapter six. Fact
    Do you interprete that way? Would you think it is more of a fact rather than an immediate reporting as Azar said?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Do you interprete that way? Would you think it is more of a fact rather than an immediate reporting as Azar said?
    It could be interpreted as either one. When in doubt, check if it's a fact.

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Do you interprete that way? Would you think it is more of a fact rather than an immediate reporting as Azar said?
    I think it is both. If the report is accurate, it is factual, but it is a report either way.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Yes, that would be all right (two words).

    The verb in reported speech is not fixed in stone. In early reported speech (soon after the quote or when the other person is still talking (on the telephone, for example), many will use the present tense. In late reported speech (days later), the past tense is far more common. With intermediate reported speech, there is a good deal of variation, depending on the speaker. Because the reported speech has already taken place when it is reported, it is difficult to rule out the past tense in any circumstance. However, when there has a been a time gap, the present tense becomes less acceptable as the time gap widens.
    I understand, thanks Mike.

    Why reported speech? Not reporting?

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    I understand, thanks Mike.

    Why reported speech? Not reporting?
    Because the speech is reported by another speaker.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: reported speech

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Because the speech is reported by another speaker.
    Silly....so the speaker said "reporting sentences" in his speech.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. reported speech
    By fab54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Nov-2004, 09:54
  2. reported speech
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2004, 21:55
  3. Reported Speech
    By bluejazzshark in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-Jul-2004, 14:10
  4. desperate! reported speech
    By valtango in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2003, 15:40
  5. reported speech
    By han516 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2002, 17:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •