Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: tonic

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking tonic

    In the south, probably the best-know aromatic tree was the sassafras. The sassafras is a fast-growing tree, a member of the laurel family. Like the other fragrant laurels - cinnamon, bay, and camphor - sassafras is noted for its aromatic bark, leaves, roots, flowers, and fruit. ... ... The Choctaw Indians used powdered sassafras leaves as a spice. Other Native American tribes used sassafras tonic as a cure for everything from fever to stomachache. ... ... (Hello, everybody! I was wondering if you could have a look for me at the "tonic" in this context. Does it refer to 1)tonic water, or 2) the medicine that makes people feel stronger and heathier ? )

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    In the south, probably the best-know aromatic tree was the sassafras. The sassafras is a fast-growing tree, a member of the laurel family. Like the other fragrant laurels - cinnamon, bay, and camphor - sassafras is noted for its aromatic bark, leaves, roots, flowers, and fruit. ... ... The Choctaw Indians used powdered sassafras leaves as a spice. Other Native American tribes used sassafras tonic as a cure for everything from fever to stomachache. ... ... (Hello, everybody! I was wondering if you could have a look for me at the "tonic" in this context. Does it refer to 1)tonic water, or 2) the medicine that makes people feel stronger and heathier ? )

    Thanks for your help.
    "Tonic" usually means a medicine, unless it's combined with other words, such as "gin and tonic" or "tonic water". But the derivation is the same.
    A "tonic" is a liquid that is meant to to put the "tone" back into your body. "Tonic water" (usually referring to mineral water, or tap water labelled as mineral water) is called that because some people believe that mineral water acts as a tonic, as defined above. So, in either case, it's a medicine of sorts, either to cure, or to keep in tone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Tonic" usually means a medicine, unless it's combined with other words, such as "gin and tonic" or "tonic water". But the derivation is the same.
    Raymott!!! I get it now!

    Then there is another one - spring tonic. I guess it is a kind of medicine, but why does it call "spring tonic"? What is the "spring tonic"? (I have googled it, but I am not sure about it)

    For centuries, sassafras enjoyed a fantastic reputation as a cure for almost every disease. Maybe you've heard of the medicinal spring tonic of the old days. Well, sassafras was a main ingredient in spring tonic - the stuff pioneer parents gave their kids. My grandmother had to take the spring tonic that her grandmother made from sassafras. ... ...

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Raymott!!! I get it now!

    Then there is another one - spring tonic. I guess it is a kind of medicine, but why does it call "spring tonic"? What is the "spring tonic"? (I have googled it, but I am not sure about it)

    For centuries, sassafras enjoyed a fantastic reputation as a cure for almost every disease. Maybe you've heard of the medicinal spring tonic of the old days. Well, sassafras was a main ingredient in spring tonic - the stuff pioneer parents gave their kids. My grandmother had to take the spring tonic that her grandmother made from sassafras. ... ...
    A spring is fresh water running out of the ground - the source of "pure" spring water which, for some reason, is thought to be better as a tonic than tap water. Maybe "Spring Tonic" is also a specific term for something else, but it generally means water coming from a spring.

  5. #5
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Tonic" usually means a medicine, unless it's combined with other words, such as "gin and tonic" or "tonic water". But the derivation is the same.
    A "tonic" is a liquid that is meant to to put the "tone" back into your body. "Tonic water" (usually referring to mineral water, or tap water labelled as mineral water) is called that because some people believe that mineral water acts as a tonic, as defined above. So, in either case, it's a medicine of sorts, either to cure, or to keep in tone.


    You'll notice that one of the leading brands of tonic water (Sch... you know who ) uses the name "Indian Tonic Water". In the days of the Raj this sort of tonic became popular because its quinine content was a prophylactic against malaria.

    Read more here (I don't know if it works - Raymott)



    b

  6. #6
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    A spring is fresh water running out of the ground - the source of "pure" spring water which, for some reason, is thought to be better as a tonic than tap water. Maybe "Spring Tonic" is also a specific term for something else, but it generally means water coming from a spring.
    A Spring Tonic was a tonic specifically given at the end of winter in order to boost the immune system, following several months with little fresh food. In this country, wild plants called rampions were made into "puddings", or young nettles were made into soup. Both plants have a high level of iron.

  7. #7
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post


    You'll notice that one of the leading brands of tonic water (Sch... you know who ) uses the name "Indian Tonic Water". In the days of the Raj this sort of tonic became popular because its quinine content was a prophylactic against malaria.

    Read more here (I don't know if it works - Raymott)



    b
    Curiously what it does work on is night cramping in the legs. A glass of tonic water taken last thing at night seems to counteract or prevent them. The medicine routinely prescribed for night cramps is a form of quinine.

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post

    Read more here (I don't know if it works - Raymott)



    b
    Yes, quinine works for malaria treatment - it's still one of the cheapest drugs.
    But it has side effects in preventive doses, and there are better drugs. This means that you or I wouldn't take quinine for malaria prophylaxis, but many people in the third world would.
    It also works for cramps.
    Quinine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  9. #9
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Curiously what it does work on is night cramping in the legs. A glass of tonic water taken last thing at night seems to counteract or prevent them. The medicine routinely prescribed for night cramps is a form of quinine.
    This begs the question of whether something called "tonic water" needs to have any quinine in it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tonic

    It doesn't "beg the question." If anything, it "suggests" or "raises" the question.

    "Begging the question" is the name of a specific logical fallacy in which your argument assumes something, without logical support, that you are trying to prove.

    One example of begging the question is, "The Bible is true because it is written by God. I know God wrote the Bible because it says so right there in the Bible, and the Bible is true!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk