Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: tonic

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: tonic

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    A Spring Tonic was a tonic specifically given at the end of winter in order to boost the immune system, following several months with little fresh food. In this country, wild plants called rampions were made into "puddings", or young nettles were made into soup. Both plants have a high level of iron.
    Anglika, you are right ! Today I found some helpful information at Google! Spring Tonic is the blood tonic which was taken to purify the blood and add needed minerals, etc. I guess the reason of being called "Spring Tonic" is that this kind of tonic was usually taken in the springtime(at the end of the winter).

Thanks for the big help from you guys!! I appreciate it !
    Anglika
    Bobk
    Raymott

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: tonic

It doesn't "beg the question." If anything, it "suggests" or "raises" the question.
    There are a few of us who support and use the original meaning, but there are millions of users who don't. What are the historians going to say? (I don't mind being a dinosaur, and I don't plan on stopping being one, but I recognize that I am one )

b

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Question-begging has been discussed before - http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...tml#post127272 . Note Mike New York's (last) post.

b

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwell View Post
    It doesn't "beg the question." If anything, it "suggests" or "raises" the question.

"Begging the question" is the name of a specific logical fallacy in which your argument assumes something, without logical support, that you are trying to prove.

One example of begging the question is, "The Bible is true because it is written by God. I know God wrote the Bible because it says so right there in the Bible, and the Bible is true!"
    Thanks. I know the two meanings of "begging the question" and once was a devotee of pointing out the correct meaning, like you.

Merriam-Webster:
    beg the question 1: to pass over or ignore a question by assuming it to be established or settled
    2: to elicit a question logically as a reaction or response <the quarterback's injury begs the question of who will start in his place>

Cambridge online (doesn't even bother with the rhetorical defn)
    beg the question
    "If a statement or situation begs the question, it causes you to ask a particular question:
    Spending the summer travelling round India is a great idea, but it does rather beg the question of how we can afford it.
    To discuss the company's future begs the question whether it has a future."

It's lamentable but there you have it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2