1. sanukeeeeeeeeeee

Lightbulb Fill the correct form of Verb.

His father will give him an expansive gift if he ____a____ (pass) the examination next year.

a) will pass
    a) will be passed
    a) will be pass

I think 'will pass' is right.

This week, my brother _____a_____ (work) very hard because he ___b___(prepare) for his school examins. So he ___c____ (not watch) much T.V. these days.

a) has been working
    a) is working

My answer is 'is working'.

b)has been preparing
    b) is preparing

My answer is "is preparing'.

c)is not watching

2. sanukeeeeeeeeeee

Lightbulb Re: Fill the correct form of Verb.

Fill in the gaps with correct form of verbs.

At this moment, I am _________ (speak) to you from Karachi, where the fnals of the Pakistan Girls Under 21 Squash Championship will be held tomorrow. The favourite ___ (be) Rehana Ali of Karachi, the girl who _______ (win) all the prizes in squash this year. Twelve months ago no one
    ________ (hear) of her, although she _____ (take) part in squash competitions for the past five years. So far in this competition, she________(won) every match. When she __________ (arrive) here two days ago, lots of people __________ (come) to welcome her. But right now Rehana ______ (want) to ___________ (practice).

My answers:

At this moment, I am speaking (speak) to you from Islamabad, where the finals of the Pakistan Girls Under 21 Squash Championship will be held tomorrow. The favourite is (be) Rehana Ali of Karachi, the girl who has won (win) all the prizes in squash this year. Twelve months ago no one heard (hear) of her, although she has been taking (take) part in squash competitions for the past five years. So far in this competition, she has won (won) every match. When she arrived (arrive) here two days ago, lots of people came (come) to welcome her. But right now Rehana wants (want) to practice (practice).
    Last edited by sanukeeeeeeeeeee; 30-Nov-2004 at 16:16.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fill the correct form of Verb.

Quote Originally Posted by sanukeeeeeeeeeee
    His father will give him an expansive gift if he ____a____ (pass) the examination next year.

a) will pass
    a) will be passed
    a) will be pass

I think 'will pass' is right.
    None of the answers are correct, IMO. One should use the simple present tense there -- "passes". It is unusual to use a modal in both the "if" clause and the result clause. Also, "expansive" should probably be "expensive".

This week, my brother _____a_____ (work) very hard because he ___b___(prepare) for his school examins. So he ___c____ (not watch) much T.V. these days.

a) has been working
    a) is working

My answer is 'is working'.

b)has been preparing
    b) is preparing

My answer is "is preparing'.

c)is not watching
    This one can go either way, depending on which part of the week "this week" is spoken in. At the beginning of the week, I would use "is working", "is preparing" and "is not watching". At the end of the week, I would use "has been working", "has been preparing" and "has not been watching". In the middle of the week, one could use either set of verbs.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fill the correct form of Verb.

Quote Originally Posted by sanukeeeeeeeeeee
    My answers:

At this moment, I am speaking (speak) to you from Islamabad, where the finals of the Pakistan Girls Under 21 Squash Championship will be held tomorrow. The favourite is (be) Rehana Ali of Karachi, the girl who has won (win) all the prizes in squash this year. Twelve months ago no one heard (hear) of her, although she has been taking (take) part in squash competitions for the past five years. So far in this competition, she has won (won) every match. When she arrived (arrive) here two days ago, lots of people came (come) to welcome her. But right now Rehana wants (want) to practice (practice).
    Looks good.