Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    undeddy is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    'That's the spirit!'

    Hello.

    I guess that this phrase is used when someone has been talking for some time (from a short while to a long tirade), but finally you hear something that you think is correct or just what you've expected to hear, and then you say: 'That's the spirit!', meaning 'Yes, you're right!'.

    Am I right?

  2. #2
    Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    Quote Originally Posted by undeddy View Post
    Hello.

    I guess that this phrase is used when someone has been talking for some time (from a short while to a long tirade), but finally you hear something that you think is correct or just what you've expected to hear, and then you say: 'That's the spirit!', meaning 'Yes, you're right!'.

    Am I right?
    "That's the spirit" is used more often when someone is attempting to do something which is very difficult. If I tried to go ice skating, but keep falling down, and still say that I am determined to master this, someone could say "That's the spirit."

    Or, if I were to attempt to learn to speak Russian just because I like the sound of it, you could tell me, "That's the spirit!"

  3. #3
    undeddy is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    If possible, could you give some synonymic phrases?

  4. #4
    Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    Quote Originally Posted by undeddy View Post
    If possible, could you give some synonymic phrases?

    Keep it up!
    Keep on trucking!
    More power to you!
    You're just like the Energizer Bunny! (The Energizer Bunny is a mechanical rabbit in a very long running series of advertisements for batteries.)

  5. #5
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    "That's the spirit" is used more often when someone is attempting to do something which is very difficult. If I tried to go ice skating, but keep falling down, and still say that I am determined to master this, someone could say "That's the spirit."

    Or, if I were to attempt to learn to speak Russian just because I like the sound of it, you could tell me, "That's the spirit!"
    It doesn't even have to be very difficult. While these examples are fine, the expression is often used to show approval of a change of mind:

    Consoling friend: 'Come on, dry those tears and show him you don't care.'
    [After a final sniff and a brave smile] 'OK. I'm over him. He's pathetic. Why should I care?'
    CF: 'That's the spirit.'



    b

  6. #6
    undeddy is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    So, it's just like 'continue in the same way and good luck to you!', isn't it?

    P.S. Is it commonly used?

  7. #7
    Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    Quote Originally Posted by undeddy View Post
    So, it's just like 'continue in the same way and good luck to you!', isn't it?

    P.S. Is it commonly used?
    Yes, basically that's what it means, and "That's the spirit" is used often.

  8. #8
    undeddy is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    Thanks :).

  9. #9
    thod00 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    "Thats the spirit" simply means to show the correct attitude.

    I would guess the etymology derives from some old beliefs that a man is driven by internal ghosts.

    As an example, consider a boxer and his trainer. The trainer is upset that the boxer shows no aggression to his opponent. Suddenly the boxer becomes very aggressive, throwing punches and doing everything he can to win. The trainer would shout "thats the spirit", as if a new ghost has entered the boxer.

  10. #10
    Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 'That's the spirit!'

    Quote Originally Posted by thod00 View Post
    "Thats the spirit" simply means to show the correct attitude.

    I would guess the etymology derives from some old beliefs that a man is driven by internal ghosts.

    As an example, consider a boxer and his trainer. The trainer is upset that the boxer shows no aggression to his opponent. Suddenly the boxer becomes very aggressive, throwing punches and doing everything he can to win. The trainer would shout "thats the spirit", as if a new ghost has entered the boxer.
    I never thought of it in that way. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spirit of $69.90=?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-May-2008, 10:00
  2. of the spirit
    By nimsooze in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2007, 01:06
  3. incorporated, her spirit
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-May-2007, 10:58
  4. Soul vs. Spirit
    By Ducklet Cat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Jan-2006, 22:05
  5. fire and spirit
    By NewHope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2004, 13:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •