Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I guess that this phrase is used when someone has been talking for some time (from a short while to a long tirade), but finally you hear something that you think is correct or just what you've expected to hear, and then you say: 'That's the spirit!', meaning 'Yes, you're right!'.

Am I right?

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
Hello.

I guess that this phrase is used when someone has been talking for some time (from a short while to a long tirade), but finally you hear something that you think is correct or just what you've expected to hear, and then you say: 'That's the spirit!', meaning 'Yes, you're right!'.

Am I right?

"That's the spirit" is used more often when someone is attempting to do something which is very difficult. If I tried to go ice skating, but keep falling down, and still say that I am determined to master this, someone could say "That's the spirit."

Or, if I were to attempt to learn to speak Russian just because I like the sound of it, you could tell me, "That's the spirit!"

undeddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If possible, could you give some synonymic phrases?

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
If possible, could you give some synonymic phrases?

Keep it up!
Keep on trucking!
More power to you!
You're just like the Energizer Bunny! (The Energizer Bunny is a mechanical rabbit in a very long running series of advertisements for batteries.)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"That's the spirit" is used more often when someone is attempting to do something which is very difficult. If I tried to go ice skating, but keep falling down, and still say that I am determined to master this, someone could say "That's the spirit."

Or, if I were to attempt to learn to speak Russian just because I like the sound of it, you could tell me, "That's the spirit!"

It doesn't even have to be very difficult. While these examples are fine, the expression is often used to show approval of a change of mind:

Consoling friend: 'Come on, dry those tears and show him you don't care.'
[After a final sniff and a brave smile] 'OK. I'm over him. He's pathetic. Why should I care?'
CF: 'That's the spirit.'

;-)

b

undeddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
So, it's just like 'continue in the same way and good luck to you!', isn't it?

P.S. Is it commonly used?

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
So, it's just like 'continue in the same way and good luck to you!', isn't it?

P.S. Is it commonly used?

Yes, basically that's what it means, and "That's the spirit" is used often.

undeddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

thod00

Member Type
Student or Learner
"Thats the spirit" simply means to show the correct attitude.

I would guess the etymology derives from some old beliefs that a man is driven by internal ghosts.

As an example, consider a boxer and his trainer. The trainer is upset that the boxer shows no aggression to his opponent. Suddenly the boxer becomes very aggressive, throwing punches and doing everything he can to win. The trainer would shout "thats the spirit", as if a new ghost has entered the boxer.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
"Thats the spirit" simply means to show the correct attitude.

I would guess the etymology derives from some old beliefs that a man is driven by internal ghosts.

As an example, consider a boxer and his trainer. The trainer is upset that the boxer shows no aggression to his opponent. Suddenly the boxer becomes very aggressive, throwing punches and doing everything he can to win. The trainer would shout "thats the spirit", as if a new ghost has entered the boxer.

I never thought of it in that way. Thanks.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Am I right?

No. When you say to people, "That's the spirit," you're telling them they have a great attitude.

Examples:

-----

You: "Can you fix my car today?"

Your friend: "No problem! I'll have it running better than ever in half an hour."

You: "That's the spirit!"

-----

Your boss: "We have a big deadline. Can you work late tonight?

You: "Absolutely. This is a great project, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it done. You can count on me!"

Your boss: "That's the spirit!"

[I'm a copy editor and have tutored university writing.]

Status
Not open for further replies.