omn is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I need help to edit my cover letter

Hi,
    Could you please edit my cover letter. Currently, I am a visiting Prof at the university of houston in which they are asking for a tenure track position which i am planning to apply. The cover letter that i have is for different universities and I am trying to edit mine for the university of houston specially when it come to the teaching experience part since I am currently teaching at uhv. I really need your help.

Dear Finance Search Committee:
    I am writing to apply for the Assistant Professor in Finance advertised in the Chronicle of Higher Education website. Currently, I am a Finance Ph.D. candidate at the University of Texas-Pan American. I will complete all the Ph.D. degree requirements by early summer of 2009.
    My dissertation is entitled "Two Essays on Financial Sector Performance in Latin America" in which I successfully defended the proposal in September 26, 2008. I expect my dissertation to result in two or three publishable articles in quality journals. Additionally, I have been able to accumulate many research ideas related to my dissertation that I plan to pursue after graduating. I look forward to having new colleagues with whom I can collaborate further.
    My research interests focus primarily on Corporate Finance, International Finance, Financial Economics, Financial Markets & Institutions, and International Trade. I possess a publication in the Global Economic Review, and I have two articles forthcoming in the International Research Journal of Finance and Economics. Further, I have one of my papers under first review at Journal of Economics and Finance. I also have several other articles in the process of revision for submission to other journals. I have presented four papers at several conferences (Financial Management Association, Academy of Economics and Finance, Southwestern Finance Association, etc.). I have participated as a discussant, and session chair at several conferences. Overall, I am confident that I have the ability to engage graduate students in research, making me an invaluable asset to the School of Business Administration at the University of Houston-Victoria.
    In addition to research, I am interested in teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels. I have taken the opportunity at the University of Houston-Victoria to teach Financial Management, Business Finance, Statistics for Business and Economics, and Statistics and Research Methods. I enjoy teaching and have worked diligently to consistently improve my pedagogical skills. As a result, I have developed the ability to manage a classroom consisting of a highly diverse student population in terms of nationality and English comprehension. I have an interest and ability to teach at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the future in the areas of Corporate Finance, Investments, International Finance, Financial Derivatives, and Financial Market and Institutions.
    Enclosed are my curriculum vita that provides more information about my background and complete contact information for my references.
    I believe that the University of Houston-Victoria's position will provide me the opportunity to contribute to future success of the department with my diverse background and experience. It is a pleasure and an honor to be considered to work for your prestigious university, and I am eagerly looking forward to the privilege of doing just that, in the near future.
    Thank you for your consideration, and I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need help to edit my cover letter

Say:
    I am writing to apply for the post of....
    Space between paragraphs.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Enclosed are my curriculum vita that provides more information about my background and complete contact information for my references.
    The enclosed is my curriculum vitae with the conacts of my references.

- It goes without saying that your CV contains detailed information about your academic and professional backgrounds. Thus, I think 'that provides more information about my background' is redundant.
    - curriculum vita is a typo.

omn is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Say:
    I am writing to apply for the post of....
    Space between paragraphs.

Thanks for your comments. Do you think that my teaching experience pragraph is well written since i am applying to the same university that I am teaching with. do I need to say it in a different way.

In addition to research, I am interested in teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels. I have taken the opportunity at the University of Houston-Victoria to teach Financial Management, Business Finance, Statistics for Business and Economics, and Statistics and Research Methods. I enjoy teaching and have worked diligently to consistently improve my pedagogical skills. As a result, I have developed the ability to manage a classroom consisting of a highly diverse student population in terms of nationality and English comprehension. I have an interest and ability to teach at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the future in the areas of Corporate Finance, Investments, International Finance, Financial Derivatives, and Financial Market and Institutions.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omn View Post
    Thanks for your comments. Do you think that my teaching experience pragraph is well written since i am applying to the same university that I am teaching with. do I need to say it in a different way.

In addition to research, I am interested in teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels. I have taken the opportunity at the University of Houston-Victoria to teach Financial Management, Business Finance, Statistics for Business and Economics, and Statistics and Research Methods. I enjoy teaching and have worked diligently to consistently improve my pedagogical skills. As a result, I have developed the ability to manage a classroom consisting of a highly diverse student population in terms of nationality and English comprehension. I have an interest and ability to teach at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the future in the areas of Corporate Finance, Investments, International Finance, Financial Derivatives, and Financial Markets and Institutions.
    Very good!