Post Thanks / Like

Default Please check my exercise about prepositions

Please check my answers to the following exercises which needs to be filled with correct prepositions. There are some blanks where I am confused between two prepositions to fill in. Please help me to choose the best answer.
    Exercise 1: (1) __On___ my way back (2) __to___ the office, I drop (3) __off___ in town for a coffee (4) ___at__ the Blue Bird Bar, and I light the cigarette up I promised myself earlier. Itís something unusual (5) __for___ me to be downtown (6) __on___ a working morning and Iím a bit surprised, like I always am, to see so many people (7) __about/around___. I donít mean just women shopping and that, but men wandering (8) __about/around___ as they like while I and my kind are tied (9) __up___ earning a living.
    Exercise 2: Jackson walked (1) ___in____ with his left hand all done (2) __up___ in a big boxing glove of bandages. He spots me as he turns (3) ___round/around__ and lifts his eyebrows and brings his cup (4) __over___ to the table, holding his bad hand (5) __up___ against his chest. I ask him what he has been doing (6) ___to__ his hand and he tells me that he had an argument with a drilling machine. I take my cigarettes (7) __out___ and offer him one. He pulls on his cigarette as if he hasnít had a smoke (8) __in/for___ a week. He says that he has been (9) __up___ to the Infirmary and that he has got to go (10) __up/along___ every morning to have the dressing changed. He asks Vic if he is having ten minutes (11) __at___ the firmís expense. Then he tells him that he ran (12) __into___ their old teacher Rooster (a few minutes before) and Rooster spoke to him. He adds that they must have stood (13) __for___ a good ten minutes talking (14) __about___ this and that.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please check my exercise about prepositions

Quote Originally Posted by linhtho0211 View Post
    Please check my answers to the following exercises which needs to be filled with correct prepositions. There are some blanks where I am confused between two prepositions to fill in. Please help me to choose the best answer.
    Exercise 1: (1) __On___ my way back (2) __to___ the office, I drop (3) __off___ in town for a coffee (4) ___at__ the Blue Bird Bar, and I light the cigarette up I promised myself earlier. Itís something unusual (5) __for___ me to be downtown (6) __on___ a working morning and Iím a bit surprised, like I always am, to see so many people (7) __about/around___. I donít mean just women shopping and that, but men wandering (8) __about/around___ as they like while I and my kind are tied (9) __up___ earning a living.

about/around - either can be used in both places. Use one the first, and the other in the second,.
    Exercise 2: Jackson walked (1) ___in____ with his left hand all done (2) __up___ in a big boxing glove of bandages. He spots me as he turns (3) ___round/around__ and lifts his eyebrows and brings his cup (4) __over___ to the table, holding his bad hand (5) __up___ against his chest. I ask him what he has been doing (6) ___to__ his hand and he tells me that he had an argument with a drilling machine. I take my cigarettes (7) __out___ and offer him one. He pulls on his cigarette as if he hasnít had a smoke (8) __in/for___ either can be used a week. He says that he has been (9) __up___ to the Infirmary and that he has got to go (10) __up/along___ every morning to have the dressing changed. He asks Vic if he is having ten minutes (11) __at___ the firmís expense. Then he tells him that he ran (12) __into___ their old teacher Rooster (a few minutes before) and Rooster spoke to him. He adds that they must have stood (13) __for___ a good ten minutes talking (14) __about___ this and that.