Name for a question that is answered with a question

• Thread starter Vandee
  • Start date
  • Views : 63,934
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vandee

OK so for many years I thought that when someone asks you a question and you answer with a question.. that is called a rhetorical question. Come to find out I am wrong, rhetorical question is a question whos answer is not needed. So my question is... WHAT IS THE TERM FOR A QUESTION THAT IS ANSWERED WITH A QUESTION?? EX: Bobby: "What do you want to do tonight?" Lisa: "Do you want to go bowling?"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK so for many years I thought that when someone asks you a question and you answer with a question.. that is called a rhetorical question. Come to find out I am wrong, rhetorical question is a question whos answer is not needed. So my question is... WHAT IS THE TERM FOR A QUESTION THAT IS ANSWERED WITH A QUESTION?? EX: Bobby: "What do you want to do tonight?" Lisa: "Do you want to go bowling?"

It's called answering a question with a question.

=O]

[I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]

vandeemayes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Is it really something as simple as that??? I could have swore that I learned an actual term in for this type of question.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
WHAT IS THE TERM FOR A QUESTION THAT IS ANSWERED WITH A QUESTION?? EX: Bobby: "What do you want to do tonight?" Lisa: "Do you want to go bowling?"

It's called answering a question with a question.

I understand this differently.
Bobby: "What do you want to do tonight?"
Lisa: "What do you want to do?" OR "Why do you ask?" OR WORSE, "Why do you ask?"

...is what we usually mean by 'answering a question with a question'.

"Do you want to go bowling?" may be in the form of a question, but it is actually making a suggestion, and so actually advancing the conversation, rather than just throwing it all back on the other person.

vandeemayes

Member Type
Student or Learner
That is actually how I meant it. "What do you want to do tonight?" and it answered by "Why do you ask?". So it is simply answering a question with a question?

Baffled

Member Type
Other
You may want to look into what's referred to as the Socratic Method.

This goes beyond linguistics, but is still an interesting topic. Socratic questioning may be the term you're looking for.

The Unaborted Socrates applies this line of questioning to deal with abortion.

I hope that helps!

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
No, Socratic Questioning does not involve answering a question with a question. It is a means of elucidating a feeling, attitude or belief, and the more specific the answers, the more successful the elucidation.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That is actually how I meant it. "What do you want to do tonight?" and it answered by "Why do you ask?". So it is simply answering a question with a question?
It could be called a number of things depending on the motivation for the second question: evasion, suspicion (paranoia), non-commitment ...

paulmoss

Member Type
English Teacher
DearVandee,
These questions are called "Reply Questions". There also "echo questions", Which repeat a part of the speaker's statement and typically show surprise or other feelings, depending on the context.
A:"John has a new girlfriend" B:" A new Girlfriend?"

Status
Not open for further replies.