Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,000
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    chug = toss off, toss down

    Dear teachers,

    Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the term in bold in the following brief excerpt from an English text?

    “He chugged the rest of his beer and stumbled over to the 2 girls.”

    chug = drink quickly, toss off, toss down, down a drink

    Thank you for your efforts.

    Regards,

    V.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: chug = toss off, toss down

    Yes; "gulped" is another meaning.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,316
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: chug = toss off, toss down

    Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    “He chugged the rest of his beer and stumbled over to the 2 girls.”

    chug = drink quickly, toss off, toss down, down a drink

    Thank you for your efforts.

    Regards,

    V.
    There are some distinctions:

    In American, we'd be more likely to say toss back and toss down than toss off.

    Toss back = toss down = gulp = take a large swallow = finish a drink quickly.

    Chug = drink a full container of beer all at once - a bottle, can, glass, or cup.

    So chugging is a beer word, and it mainly applies to full containers. You can toss down the last of a beer you've been working on, but you'd generally only chug a full, fresh bottle or can of beer. That means that the author of your quote is using the term loosely.

    Also, chugging is mainly an activity of college boys and is especially identified with fraternity (frat) life.

    Brad grabbed a Bud from the fridge, popped the top, chugged it, and headed to class for final exams.

    [I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]
    Last edited by RonBee; 13-Feb-2009 at 16:32. Reason: fix quote


    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 365
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: chug = toss off, toss down

    chug = drink quickly, toss off, toss down, down a drink
    To 'toss off' has a quite different meaning to an Englishman and will get you some very odd looks.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,076
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: chug = toss off, toss down

    Quote Originally Posted by thod00 View Post
    To 'toss off' has a quite different meaning to an Englishman and will get you some very odd looks.
    That's true, and I've never heard of 'chugged' in reference to drinking. I thought 'chugging' was what steam trains did.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,000
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: chug = toss off, toss down

    Hi teachers,

    There is the original interpretation of the term in question namely “drink the beer all at one time without putting the glass down”. This information is from a perfect reliable source.

    005 - Dare2 | ESL Podcast | Fun English Lessons

    I know also the classical interpretation of the present term namely "the dull explosive noise made by an engine" for what reason I have sought the aid of you.

    For your further information you might see the following link
    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=toss+off&gwp=13


    chug = toss off = also toss down. Consume quickly, especially a drink in one draft. For example, He tossed off the beer and headed for the door, or She tossed down one glass after another.

    Regards,

    V.
    Last edited by vil; 13-Feb-2009 at 18:26.

  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: chug = toss off, toss down

    Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi teachers,

    There is the original interpretation of the term in question namely “drink the beer all at one time without putting the glass down”. This information is from a perfect reliable source.
    Yes. "Chugging" a drink, whether it be beer or soda pop, means to finish whatever is left in your glass in one fell swoop, or one long swallow.

    One example: You're out with friends and it's late. You still have half a bottle of beer left, but everyone else is finished with their drinks and anxious to go home. Someone at your table might urge you to "Please just chug the rest of that so we can pay our check and get out of here."

    On the other hand, as mentioned upthread, "chug-a-lug" is a common "game" practiced among college friends, frat boys, or even drunken sports fans watching a game on TV. Depending upon the rules, whenever it's a participant's turn to empty his glass, everyone will chant "chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug" as he tilts his head back and drinks the contents all at one time.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,076
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: chug = toss off, toss down

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Yes. "Chugging" a drink, whether it be beer or soda pop, means to finish whatever is left in your glass in one fell swoop, or one long swallow.

    One example: You're out with friends and it's late. You still have half a bottle of beer left, but everyone else is finished with their drinks and anxious to go home. Someone at your table might urge you to "Please just chug the rest of that so we can pay our check and get out of here."

    On the other hand, as mentioned upthread, "chug-a-lug" is a common "game" practiced among college friends, frat boys, or even drunken sports fans watching a game on TV. Depending upon the rules, whenever it's a participant's turn to empty his glass, everyone will chant "chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug" as he tilts his head back and drinks the contents all at one time.
    OK, so it's an AmE thing.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,035
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: chug = toss off, toss down

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    OK, so it's an AmE thing.
    Also a Canadian thing, but then, there's a Canadian expression "When the US gets a cold, Canada starts to sneeze."

Similar Threads

  1. throw, fling, toss
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2008, 10:34
  2. toss and turn
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2008, 10:20
  3. Toss Shoulders
    By MW in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2006, 17:13
  4. argue the toss
    By Itasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2005, 09:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •