• Post Thanks / Like

Any tips on how to advertise private lessons?

First of all, I'd just like to say I think this is a fantastic site - I have just discovered it and I can't get over how many high-quality, free resources there are here, so thanks!

I'm just about to advertise private classes, and I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to do this - things to include, things to avoid etc.

For example, how much information to include in the advert/leaflet; should I emphasise my own skills and qualifications, or concentrate on what the student will get out of the lessons? Should I include the price, or wait until I get some phone calls and negotiate? Should I mention particular strengths and experience that I have, or wait until I'm interviewing students to mention these?

Also should the advert be in English, or in the native language? Or both? (I'm in Spain and speak some Spanish).

I want to make my ad stand out from the rest, but I also want it to be clear and to-the-point.

Any tips or thoughts gratefully received

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any tips on how to advertise private lessons?

I think the ad should be basically in both. You are trying to attract people who want to learn English, some may have no English at all yet.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic Woman View Post
    First of all, I'd just like to say I think this is a fantastic site - I have just discovered it and I can't get over how many high-quality, free resources there are here, so thanks!

I'm just about to advertise private classes, and I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to do this - things to include, things to avoid etc.

For example, how much information to include in the advert/leaflet; should I emphasise my own skills and qualifications, or concentrate on what the student will get out of the lessons? Should I include the price, or wait until I get some phone calls and negotiate? Should I mention particular strengths and experience that I have, or wait until I'm interviewing students to mention these?

Also should the advert be in English, or in the native language? Or both? (I'm in Spain and speak some Spanish).

I want to make my ad stand out from the rest, but I also want it to be clear and to-the-point.

Any tips or thoughts gratefully received
    If you want an ad on this site, the fist thing to do is ask the administrators.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If you want an ad on this site, the fist thing to do is ask the administrators.

In her post it mentions a leaflet.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    I think the ad should be basically in both. You are trying to attract people who want to learn English, some may have no English at all yet.

Qualifications may well just look like alphabet spaghetti to many students; would you know a decent Spanish qualification from a dodgy one?

I would include the price as I would prefer to know that before getting the spiel. I think it might help to think of your preferences as a consumer and do the same as a provider. A guy who sells himself quite well is this one IMO- he's gone for a niche, puts the money details up front and is charging more than a lot of teachers in London are.