arabella15 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default please help me with ideas on writing a story the heading is 'the long way home'

I have to write a 1200-1500 word story/essay and the topic is 'The long way home' . If anyone has any good ideas that is relevent to this topic in some way please let me know as to what i should write about.
    I was thinking of mabye making it a holiday over seas maybe??? but i'm not sure what exactly to write and what will happen in the story

Thanks in adavance

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please help me with ideas on writing a story the heading is 'the long way home'

Quote Originally Posted by arabella15 View Post
    I have to write a 1200-1500 word story/essay and the topic is 'The long way home' .
    Have you ever read "The Odyssey"?

(Now you may thank me.)

Last edited by RonBee; 15-Feb-2009 at 17:36. Reason: spelling

arabella15 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please help me with ideas on writing a story the heading is 'the long way home'

no ...is it relevent to my essay topic??? what is the book about?

poorboy_9 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Arabella15, ...."the long way home" might be approached as such: A to C, via B is the "short" way home. A to C, via Z,Y,X,W, ...F,D,C, etc. would be th "long" way home.
    Being waylaid because of humorous, exciting, dangerous, escapades might be a way to start. Good Luck with the assignment!
    B.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Another interesting approach would be to contrast the literal meaning of 'long' with the metaphorical use, as in 'We've come a long way since those days'. So your main character could be physically close to home, but have to go through lots of changes (of fortune, priorities...) before deciding to go home. Maybe someone's father threw him out and said 'Don't come back until X'.

But you might have trouble with the word-count!

b

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arabella15 View Post
    what is the book about?
    "The Odyssey" is about a man who took the long way home.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
    Well if you need urgent help you can mail cheatsneverprosperatgmail.com they did an excellent paper for me and I got an A for the same. I hope this helps.
    Honest essays? Seems more like dishonest essays.

Last edited by Tdol; 20-Feb-2009 at 18:52. Reason: Editing cheat link

Monticello is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

arbella15:

At first, any writing assignment can sometimes seem overwhelming. Even experienced writers are at times daunted by the blank page. The trick is to break the assignment down into easily manageable pieces. So before you begin to generate ideas you 'll first need to create a plan for your story.

To get started, I would suggest first focusing on the story's scope -- 1200 - 1500 words -- which equals 4 - 5 double spaced pages of 12 font (each double spaced page having about 300 words).

Next, consider that the assignment suggests a (fictional) personal narrative, that is, a story told in the 1st person point of view e.g., "I did this, I did that," etc. (Though the story could certainly work in 3rd person too -- "s/he did this or that." ) So here's your first decision: Will you tell the story in from the 1st person point of view? Or will you write about someone else's experience using the 3rd person voice?

Whatever you decide -- 1st or 3rd person -- consider that every story has a beginning, a middle, and an ending. The story heading, "The Long Way Home," suggests that, during a routine trip home, something unexpected happens that takes the main character off course. With this general structural idea, then, your story could use the first page describing your usual trip home. To generate ideas for your story, ask yourself questions: Where are you coming from? Was it from visiting a friend or a relative? Were you coming from school? Are you returning from a trip from somewhere? Are you with others or alone? What are the things that make this part of the trip home seem routine (or not)? This is the beginning of your story.

Next, an unexpected event that takes you off your usual course needs to happen somewhere into the second page. What will this be -- something dramatic, like an accident of some sort? Something seemingly ordinary that nonetheless leads you astray? A chance encounter with a stranger? Or perhaps even something fantastical, like a talking animal, or an alien spacecraft? The details of a series of events that ensue from the unexpected occurrence should consume (roughly) pages 2 - 4. Your imagination is the key that will unlock this for you. This is the middle of your story.

Finally, you need to get yourself home and bring your story to a close. The last page should be enough for this. Again, questions will generate ideas. Are you surprised at finding yourself finally home? Did you learn anything along the way? Are you changed by your experience?

In any event, break the assignment down into manageable pieces and then start writing. Create an adventure.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Monticello; 19-Feb-2009 at 15:01.