Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. mamen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 284
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Post please explain!!!

    Why is that there are times that they put a comma after the words so, but, etc.
    please explain!!!

    What is the difference between the two?
    1) So, he tried to open the window.

    2) So he tried to open the window.

    please explain too!!!

  2. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: please explain!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mamen View Post
    Why is that there are times that they put a comma after the words so, but, etc.
    please explain!!!

    What is the difference between the two?
    1) So, he tried to open the window.

    2) So he tried to open the window.

    please explain too!!!
    In the position, at the beginning of a sentence, the comma, these days, is stylistic only. You don't really need it. Which is why some writers do without it.

  3. mamen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 284
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: please explain!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    In the position, at the beginning of a sentence, the comma, these days, is stylistic only. You don't really need it. Which is why some writers do without it.
    Do you mean that I'm allowed to remove the comma in the sentense "When I entered the room, I saw her singing.


    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 365
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: please explain!!!

    A useful little rule I was taught as a kid is to put a comma where you would expect to take a breath or pause during speech.

    In 'So, what have we here" the speaker would make a short pause after 'so' but not in "So what we have we here". Spoken English uses such devices for emphasis. Robotic computer generated voices sound odd.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,657
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: please explain!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mamen View Post
    Do you mean that I'm allowed to remove the comma in the sentense "When I entered the room, I saw her singing.
    With longer phrases, we still tend to put the comma in.

Similar Threads

  1. How to explain?
    By Devil's tear in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2008, 23:58
  2. please can you explain?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Aug-2007, 00:44
  3. help me, to help me, explain me, explain to me
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2007, 17:00
  4. Describe, Discuss and Explain
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2007, 06:52
  5. plz explain me
    By ramia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2006, 20:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •