• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re:addressing

Hi! I have a few questions about addressing again. Could someone please help me out?

1. If a person, with whom I have business relationship but we are not familar with each other, only sign given name in his letter each time, should I address him his given name or his surname with 'Mr'?

2. If a colleague whom I just got to know addressed my given name, can I address him his given name too? Or should I call him Mr. Peterson if without his permission to call him his given name?

3. If a forum member, whose screen name is abcde, responded to my post and signed his real name in his post, such as Mike Peterson, what did he mean usually?

Did he prompt me to address him Mr Peterson or Mike? Which one is appropriate addressing for him?

Many thanks!

Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: addressing

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi! I have a few questions about addressing again. Could someone please help me out?

1. If a person, with whom I have business relationship but we are not familar with each other, only signs his given name in his letter each time, should I address him by his given name or his surname with 'Mr'? If the person to whom you are speaking is older, in a much more senior position or rank, you address him/her by their last name until you are told to use the first name.

2. If a colleague whom I just got to know addressed me by my given name, can I address him his given name too? Or should I call him Mr. Peterson if without his permission to call him his given name? I think the same rule as above applies here.

3. If a forum member, whose screen name is abcde, responded to my post and signed his real name in his post, such as Mike Peterson, what did he mean usually? It means that he doesn't mind you knowing his real name, and he is being friendly.

Did he prompt me to address him Mr Peterson or Mike? Which one is appropriate addressing for him? I think that in a realxed and informal situation like this forum, it's perfectly fine to use the given name.

Many thanks!
    I am not a teacher.

One thing that I really, really dislike as far as being adressed by someone is if I am in a store, and the sales person calls me "dear".

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Searching for language:

Thank you very much for your answers and corrections of the grammar mistakes in my words.

Have a good one there.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 17-Feb-2009 at 16:03.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    I am not a teacher.

One thing that I really, really dislike as far as being adressed by someone is if I am in a store, and the sales person calls me "dear".
    I think Sir or Madam is the appropriate title for salespersons to address their customers. Am I right? Thanks!

Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    I think Sir or Madam is the appropriate title for salespersons to address their customers. Am I right? Thanks!
    Absolutely. It is really in a sales situation not necessary to do that, though. Just a "good morning, good afternoon" is fine also.