Post Thanks / Like

Default Learn to Labour And to Wait

Dear All,

My daughter is in her fourth year of primary school in Beijing, and now she is taking a GESE (-Graded Examinations in Speakers of Other Languages). To take this exam, she need to prepare a short topic before hand and to deliver her speech before the examining teachers on the exam day, when the latter will ask the examinees questions both based-on and not based-on the topic just presented.

In the following is our English topic, prepared by my daughter with my help, and, on which we would highly appreciate any comments, suggestions and even teacher’s instructions from all experts here on the forum (by the way, I work in advertising, not a teacher).

Thank you all very much in advance!
    Here we go:

Learn to Labour And to Wait

To begin with this sentence by Longfellow, an American poet, because I’m young, I want to be successful, and I hate laziness.

My parents seldom let me do any housework. On weekdays, all they want me to do is: hey Shirley, do your homework and review. And on weekends, they often say: hey Shirley, do your homework and review, then we shall to go to your English class. This is my life! Day after day, week after week…

By and by, I became very impatient and could not wait to everything I wanted. For example, I often say to my father, “Daddy, please give me a drink of water”, and to my mother, “Mom, can you find me the pink jacket and my sports shoes for today”…, and when I said those to them, I wanted them to do it for me immediately since I could not wait.
    When I knew that the Harry Potter movie was on in Beijing, I asked my father to get tickets and to go to cinema with me as soon as possible. I could hardly wait for another day!

Finally I saw the movie in the cinema and enjoyed it very much. On our way back that day, my father told me that the seven Harry Potter books were written by a Scottish writer Joanne Rowling, but it took her five years only to finish Book one. So, it’s not that easy for people to get what they want, we need to work, to labor and sometimes to wait, before we can get something we want!
    “Yes, I shall learn to do and to wait”.
    Maybe I got something more from my father that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Learn to Labour And to Wait

Just wonder:

Does this short passage (topic) make sense to English speaking people?
    And if so, what special attentions should be paid when delivering the presentation? Since both the examiner and examinee are Chinese.

And if not, how to revise and modify it to make it so?

With great thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Teachers, Please please kindly help me on the short Topic! We need to get it ready for the coming exam.

Many thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Just wonder:

Does this short passage (topic) make sense to English speaking people?
    And if so, what special attentions should be paid when delivering the presentation? Since both the examiner and examinee are Chinese.

And if not, how to revise and modify it to make it so?

With great thanks!
    Dear Teachers here, could anyone offer some help to us before it sinks to the bottom of sea?

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that everyone is pretty busy here, but still cherish a hope that there would be a help for me, though a practical voice is telling me that you'd get nothing from here.

Thank you all the same and
    have nice weekend!