Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. Anonymous
    Guest
    #1

    verb conjugation

    I am having trouble conjugating the word cost in present perfect tense, future tense, and past perfect tense in first, second, and third person. Please help.

  2. gwendolinest
    Guest
    #2
    The present perfect tense is “has cost” in the third person singular and “have cost” for the other declensions. The past perfect tense is “had cost”.

    The future is “will cost”. However, some authors still prefer to use “shall” with the first person (“I/we shall cost”).

    I don’t think there is such a word “costed”. Is there? I have looked up three dictionaries and can’t find it in any of them.

    ()

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Cost as a regular verb is used in the sense of working out how much something will be. Builders 'cost up' jobs when they prepare an estimate and they us -ed in the past and for the past participle. That's where I've heard it used.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Cost as a regular verb is used in the sense of working out how much something will be. Builders 'cost up' jobs when they prepare an estimate and they us -ed in the past and for the past participle. That's where I've heard it used.

  3. gwendolinest
    Guest
    #5
    Yes, I was sure I had heard the word “costed” before. But it’s not in my dictionaries.

    (:?)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    I've only heard it from friends in the building trade. 8)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    I've only heard it from friends in the building trade. 8)

  4. Anonymous
    Guest
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendolinest
    Yes, I was sure I had heard the word “costed” before. But it’s not in my dictionaries.

    (:?)
    I've heard "costed report" before.

    As in "Can you print out a costed report for me?"

    This would fall into the purchasing and materials department of a company.

  5. gwendolinest
    Guest
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TALKtown
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendolinest
    Yes, I was sure I had heard the word “costed” before. But it’s not in my dictionaries.

    (:?)
    I've heard "costed report" before.

    As in "Can you print out a costed report for me."

    This would fall into the purchasing and materials department of a company.

    Thanks!

    (:D)

  6. Anonymous
    Guest
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendolinest
    Quote Originally Posted by TALKtown
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendolinest
    Yes, I was sure I had heard the word “costed” before. But it’s not in my dictionaries.

    (:?)
    I've heard "costed report" before.

    As in "Can you print out a costed report for me?"

    This would fall into the purchasing and materials department of a company.

    Thanks!

    (:D)
    You're quite welcome. Here's a specific example.

    "Costed Bill of Materials Report generates a breakdown of all assemblies, subassemblies, labor, and other component costs."

    http://appgen.com/linux_accounting/bill_materials.html

    You should find that statement about halfway down the page.

    :) 8)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. noun phrases
    By sting in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 22:52
  2. Pick out nouns,pronouns and verb.
    By sara_pk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-May-2004, 21:09
  3. english grammar
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2003, 16:27
  4. Subject of a verb
    By Anonymous in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2003, 08:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •